Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Hey Doc ! Ive got a Model #79071442601 Kenmore Gas range

Hey Doc ! I've got a Model #79071442601 Kenmore Gas range that has an issue w/ the top burners not being able to light when the oven is on and/or hot. Ever heard of such a thing? They lit just fine before i checked out the oven - just like the customer complained about
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I apologize, but I don't know of a reason why this model would generate this problem so I'll opt out and if someone else knows a reason they will respond.
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Was the unit converted from propane to Natural or vice versa?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the stove was converted to n Gas from LP . the consistant trouble now is that it takes 30-45 seconds to light the top burners if it's off for more than a couple minutes
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Did you do the conversion on the unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no but i sold his the orifaces - and i checked the regulator (the Pin is out)
-- i also completely removed and replaced the regulator looking for blockages
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what would make the gas take 30 seconds to start flowing to the top burners? is this typical for the way regulators fail?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

I have seen this issue before. Number one, ensure you've not installed a gas line with a "Safety flow" nipple. They just don't work properly. If you find this, remove it and put on a new nipple.

Number two: The rating label for gas pressure tested with a manometer should be around 11"WC on a propane stove. If those two things test ok, you're going to need a new pressure regulator.

I can't stress enough, if the installer of the gas line used one of those "Safety flow" nipples on the gas line REMOVE IT!!!!

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service