Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a 5 year old Neptune front loading washing machine in

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old Neptune front loading washing machine in our second floor laundry room. It shakes uncontrollaby during the spin cycle, causing our whole house to shake. It is especially bad when washing towels as the drum appears to bang against the frame making a very loud noise. I've tried leveling it and putting a cushioned matt underneath, but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.

does it viberate with out clothes in it while in a spin cycle ?

This way we can find out if it is the washer or the load in the washer !

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does vibrate some with no clothes, but not nearly as bad. It gets worse the heavier the load (i.e. full load of towels are the worst).
May I have the units model number to better assist you .
If you open the door it will be on the units face frame .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MAH8700AWW
you said it viberates some with out clothes in it does it bang around?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it only bangs with a load of towels

ok so it is not the washer mechanism!!

YOu need to make sure you wash (LIKE) items meaning they have to weight the same when they get wet .

So if you wash large and small towels togeather in will be out of balance.

Is this the first time this has done this ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it has happened every load of wash for the past couple of years but seems to be getting worse. The only time it does not vibrate wildly is if we do a load of something light, like socks only or sheets.

But separating small wash cloths from the rest of the towels? Seriously? Kind of defeats the purpose of getting a high capacity washing machine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"check the shocks" is not worth $30. I found more comprehensive info on free bulletin boards.
Nothing was said to check the shocks ,I advised to replace the shocks