romr2009
romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

,the daughter in law, stupidly put aluminum foil on the bottom of my m

Customer Question

I ,the daughter in law, stupidly put aluminum foil on the bottom of my mothers in law Frigidaire Gallery oven and a small section of the foil burnt on. Is there any solution orway I can get it to clenup? I know I can not use the self clean. I feel awful !!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

The only way to get it off is to start with a single edge razor blade. Carefully scrape off what you can. Once you have that done you will need some 900 grit wet and dry auto body sanding paper. Keeping it good and wet sand off the rest of the foil.

Ok. About now you are thinking "that guy is nutz! Sanding paper? No way!"

The 900 grit sanding paper is a very fine grit. With 1000 grit you can polish out scratches from glasses.

It is going to take some elbow grease to sand off the foil, but it does work.

You should be able to get the sanding paper at your local hardware store. ACE Hardware carries it for sure.

Thank you for trusting me with your problems.

Please select a POSITIVE RATING (Ok Service or better) and a bonus is appreciated. This

is how your professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible, or you are

unable to enter a rating, please let your professional know.

This is ment to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the

REPLY TO EXPERT tab if more information is needed at any time

BEFORE rating.

Please remember to ONLY rate an answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to rate Poor or Bad

Service, please STOP and reply to your professional via the REPLY TO

EXPERT tab with the issue you have. They will be happy to continue further and do everything they can to

provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We don't want to use a razor blade on a new oven.

Hold the razor at a 33* angle or less to the work surface and it wont scratch. The porcilen coating on the oven surface is pretty tough stuff. You really have to try to do any significant damage to it. The samding paper will polish out any minor scratches. If you really want a shine get a piece of 1000, and 1500 grit. The 900 should be good enough though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As the daughter in law I am in a difficult position and my in laws are very uncomfortable with my using a razor blade and sand paper in their new oven.

I understand your concerns. This method does work. I would not advise you to do something that will damage the interior of the oven.

Once you start to sand you will see just how fine the sand paper is. As I mentioned it is going to take some elbow grease to get it off.

Get the sanding paper and test it on a piece of foil. You will see how much it takes to get through the foil that way.

Remember to keep it wet. Water is a good thing here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We used 1000 grit sand paper and your razor blade technique. We worked continuously off and on all day. However, even with the sand paper wet it still scratched the enamel of the oven and did not remove all the foil even though the foil was only in small patches.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Appliance category.

Instead of mechanical cleaning use chemical methods.

• Lye or Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) eats aluminum (and other metals) but enamel is resistant to lye.
  • Click the links below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JqA6YJEL0CUC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=enamel+resistance+to +lye&source=bl&ots=lWqjCbUJzk&sig=spp_SqkPYdy5s_QHYuHuD8zan4I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ifEaUKOdLKXSiALsq4HIDQ&ved=0CGUQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=enamel%20resistance%20to%20lye&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drano

http://www.drano.com/en-US/Products/Pages/Kitchen-Crystals-Clog-Remover.aspx

-----

• Do not use a regular oven cleaner because of the other additives.
  • Use crystal Drano (not the liquid).

-----

• Using gloves and eye protection, put a few crystal grains into a stainless steel or enamel pot.
  • The dark grains are lye crystals.
  • The shiny metal slivers are aluminum which is used to react with the lye crystals to make gas bubbles to agitate the solution - you will not need this since you already have the aluminum foil patches.

-----

• Select a single lye crystal. (It is very important to use this small quantity to keep the heat and outgas to a minumum.)
  • Put 5 drops of cold water to cover a small patch in the oven.
  • Using gloves and eye protection, mix the single crystal in the small patch using a plastic or stainless steel utensil.
  • The lye will immediately react with the aluminum patch and the water will appear to boil and release gas.
  • After the reaction subsides, use a clean wet rag to wipe the liquid and rinse the rag in the sink.
  • Repeat for the next small patch.