The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have an oppertunity to by a GE washer (WBVH6240) and matching

I have an oppertunity to by a GE washer (WBVH6240) and matching dryer. I've done some research and these look to be older then I origanly thought and it's seems that they have a lot of problems? The units seem new/hardly used, I'm wondering if they are woth buying. The price is $550 for both.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Pease provide the serial number of either unit and I can determine the actual age from that.

If they are in good shape (Washer - clean inside and out, look for any scraping marks that may indicate excessive vibration, no soap residue around top of the drum up under the rim. Dryer - no scraping noises when drum is turned, no excessive play at top front when pushed up on, no excessive back and forth play in drum). Then they are worth the $550.00.

Thank you for trusting me with your problems.

Please select a POSITIVE RATING (Ok Service or better) and a bonus is appreciated. This

is how your professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible, or you are

unable to enter a rating, please let your professional know.

This is ment to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the

REPLY TO EXPERT tab if more information is needed at any time

BEFORE rating.

Please remember to ONLY rate an answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to rate Poor or Bad

Service, please STOP and reply to your professional via the REPLY TO

EXPERT tab with the issue you have. They will be happy to continue further and do everything they can to

provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I'm buying these tomorrow. I have researched a little and it seems that these units (the washer) tend to leak from the front door, smell moldy and vibrate/move around. If so, any suggetions to fix and avoid these issues?

If they leak from the front door it is because of a bad boot seal. This is usually caused by a bad main bearing. The bad main bearing is what causes the unit to vibrate a lot.

Have the seller set up a small load or rags to wash and if it vibrates a lot then do not buy it.

Both units should be test ran to be sure that they do work properly.

Never take the sellers word that thety work properly. Always run a test load.

If there is evidense of mold (stains to the door boot) do not buy it.

Use your nose. If it smell moldy, or like burnt electrical dont buy it.

Use the sences that you have. Smell - if something smells funny question the purchsae. Feel - If the drum doesnt turn smoothly, question the purchase. Hearing - If something sounds funny, question the purchase. Sight - If it looks funny, out of place, stained, etc. Question the purchase.

The last thing you want to do is buy a unit that you even think you might have to repair before you use it, or get any use from.

To avoid any mold issues use "Affresh" on a monthly basis to eliminate the food that mold feeds on.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So this might have been a big mistake. I got them home, hooked up the dryer and it works. Hooked up the washer and it seemed to work, ran a cycle and it stoped working about half way through, the timer was on but it was was not spinning or doing anything. I tried powering it off and on and now it's worse. The timer doesn't come, none of the botton do anything but there is a buzzing noise coming from inside. The door is locked and there's water in side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Update, so it must have reset or something. All the buttons work, I set a new cycle and it's not doing anything. The timer is counting down but there's no water going in and it's not spinning. It's just still but still making that buzzing noise.

Hate to say it but you are right. The buzzing may be a bad relay on the main control board. I really cant say without running some diagnostics.

The first thing you need to do is get it to drain the water out. Put the unit on drain/spin and press the start button. It should empty the water. If it doesnt please let me know.

can you tell where the buzzing is coming from? top bottom ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ran the drain/spin and it did not drain. I think the buzzing coming from the bottom but it's hard to tell.

Ok that is either the motor or the pump. Give me a few to get you some information from the manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
buzzing for sure from the bottom. i took off the back panel and its comming from the silver motor (i think that's what it is) that's mounted to the plastic drum.

ICK! Not good on motor. But lets do this by the book ok.

Ok. First try doing a gravity drain. Just lower the drain hose into a bucket. Get out what you can and then at the bottom front of the unit is a panel. Three screws along the bottom and it comes off. There is a drain cap. Remove it to drain the rest of the unit. Any water left in the unit is going to come out!! Have rags etc ready.

Once drained clear out chamber and feel the pump impellar with your finger. Does it turn all the way aroung freely with little resistance?

If not replace the pump.

Once you are at this point let me know. We can start diagnostics at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the pump impailer? the inside part/chamber spins easy.

Ok the pump is ok then.

Put the cap back on, but not the panel.

Below is the testing procedure. If there are any error codes write them down. Let me know what you come up with.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once in test mode, t01 on display what do I do?

Sorry. Pressing start/pause advances to the next test. t01 , t02 , t03, etc.

Write down the results of each test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
e31. not sure if i did it right.
that is a drain pump restriction. It is there because th eunit did not drain properly.. Continue with the diagnostics and see if there are other error codes (pressing the start buton cycles through them).

Press and hold Start/Pause to clear all error codes. (Will then display E00.)

Were there any other error codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if i did it right. T1-03, T2-E31, T3-cod100, T5-P, T6-E, T7-73,70,74, T10TT, T11-0. for 10 & 11 nothing happened, it was just still and buzzing, I had to restart the process and agve up.
Looks right. Give me a minuet to look through it.

Ok here is a better explaination of what should happen with each step. If the unit does not do what is described please make a note of it.

FYI: you did do it right.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like i did most of it right, but the machine wouldn't do the test poperly. i.e spin, fill with water, etc.

Ok in a nutshell...If it isnt filling you need to test the water inlet valves for 120 volts during a fill cycle. If no voltage going to them replace the control board. Same with no pump out. test the pump for 120 volts in a spin/ drain cycle. if no voltage replace control board.

Overall it looks like a bad control board.

Please select a POSITIVE RATING (Ok Service or better) and a bonus is appreciated. This is how your professional receives credit for their time.
If for any reason the rating box is not visible, or you are unable to enter a rating, please let your professional know.
This is ment to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT tab if more information
is needed at any time BEFORE rating.
Please remember to ONLY rate an answer when you are 100% satisfied.
If you feel the need to rate Poor or Bad Service, please STOP and reply to your professional via the REPLY TO EXERT tab with
the issue you have. They will be happy to continue further and do everything they can to provide you with the service you seek.