Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

Had my GE Profile PSS26NSTASS refrigerator repaired 2 weeks

Customer Question

Had my GE Profile PSS26NSTASS refrigerator repaired 2 weeks ago. He replaced the main board and a circulating fan in the freezer section. This fixed the warm freezer. However, now any thing I put in the Custom Cool section (bottom drawer) freezes. Things put in the produce drawer just above it also freeze. I changed around teh settings on the Custom Cool control panel and set it to "citrus." The numerical display briefly shows the target temp, and then cycles to "99 degrees F." The display shows 99 all the time. I suspect the temperature sensor for the Custom Cool section is bad. I noticed the fan in the Custom Cool is NOT constantly running (as I would expect if a bad sensor was causing constant attempts to cool the section). I looked at the diagram of the Custom Cool on AppliancePartsPro.com and did not see a temp sensor. I am posting here because the repair guy 2 weeks ago mumbled something about sensors going bad as I was paying him. I am wondering if knew there was a problem. Can I solve this problem by a simple sensor replacement?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX, XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Only the foods in the custom cool section are freezing? No where else in the fresh food side?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Foods in the Custom Cool and the Produce drawer just above it freeze. The rest of the refrigerator compartment seems to function fine. Freezer is set to 0 degrees, and shows -1 to 0. Refrigerator is set to 37 degrees and shows 37 degrees on the display.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry for the delay, I am still looking for the sensor, I can see it on the wiring diagram but I have not found it on the parts diagram.

If you tap the control from the bottom can you get that 99 to flicker or change?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work right now and unable to do active manipulations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Where on the unit is it located, and instructions on replacing it?
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

this is the thermal sensor in the freshfood section located just above the crisper drawers on the back wall .

it just has two wire clip the old one and wire nut the wires onto the new one .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it out tonight. I have seen other posts indicating a similar sensor to be located behind the oval grill on the left hand wall of the fresh food compartment. That one I presume is for the main fresh food compartment. The location you are describing I presume is for the Custom Cool section. Does it also have some sort of grill covering it?

you are correct it has two .

And it normally has a small grill with opening in it about 2 inches long and the openings are about 3/4 of an inch .