gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

My Kenmore microwave (built into cabinets) is not heating food.

My Kenmore microwave (built into cabinets) is not heating food. The problem started after the cook time was set and ran for 15 minutes instead of the kitchen timer. No food was in the microwave.

Do you have any suggestions for fixing the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

good morning.do you have the model number?

Customer:

721.66463500

gst85 :

so it does run but will not heat on any settings?

Customer:

I have not tried multiple settings. I have only tried heating on high (normal setting) power.

Customer:

It does run.

gst85 :

okay,now when a mircowave no longer produces any heat it is usually the magnetron that is the cause of this problem.

gst85 :

about how old is this unit?

Customer:

It was installed by the builder and we moved in March 2007. So with that being said it is about 5 1/2 years old.

Customer:

This happened once before and we had to have it fixed professionally. They had to replace a big, and very heavy magnet within the unit.

gst85 :

thats sounds like the magnetron that was replaced.

gst85 :

it can be replaced which cost about 60 dollars but i am not sure on how much you were charged for labor.but i am sure that it was not cheap.now you can have it repaired again or for the cost of the part and labor you can but a new unit for what you are going to spend.but then again that is up to you to decide.

Customer:

That is what I was afraid of. Looks like I am going shopping...

Customer:

Any recommendations on brands, models, etc?

Customer:

I have seen some recent information about microwaves that also have a convection oven.

gst85 :

kenmore is a good model to stick with.but if you have doubts about this make then i would go with whirlpool or even maytag.

Customer:

Thanks

gst85 :

i would suggest that you try sears.

gst85 :

your welcome.before you go please click on a smiley face.

gst85 :

good luck to you as well.

gst85 :

are you still there?

Customer:

Sorry, I was on the phone with Sears...hahah

gst85 :

oh i am sorry about that.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs