romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control

I have an American Range fryer AF-45, I put in a new HI-LOW

Customer Question

I have an American Range fryer AF-45, I put in a new HI-LOW Limit Switch, and a new
Thermostat, it still heats to set temperature, shuts down and will not kick on again untill
completely cooled down, sometimes pilot even shuts off. Also if it matters I have three
other AF-45 Fryers in line with this machine.

Thank You
For your Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  romr2009 replied 4 years ago.
Hello Richard and thanks for choosing the Appliance category.

• Reseat/replace the thermopile/millivolt generator.
  • If the connection is poor or the unit is worn out, the voltage generated by the flame will be too low to keep the safety valve open.
  • If the connection is too loose or too tight, metal expansion from the heat will cause intermittent operation.
  • Click the link below:
Expert:  romr2009 replied 4 years ago.
  • The millivolt generator/thermopile is an electrical part similar to a battery with a wire going back to the valve.
  • The internal wire can be damaged by rough handling.

• If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage at the valve end (without connecting it to the valve) after it is secured at the pilot end: Light the pilot in the usual way and measure the voltage after a few minutes while still holding down the pilot button to keep it alive.
  • If there is 0.2 to 2 volts the millivolt generator/thermopile is working.

• The connection at the valve end is very fragile.
  • If you look down the threaded hole in the valve connection you will see a thin metal contact at the bottom similar to a battery contact.
  • When you thread the millivolt generator/thermopile connection into the valve, the metal contact should only be slightly pressed down but still have a little spring left.
  • If the connection is too tight, the contact will be crushed flat and won't have enough spring to move when the unit is hot and the contact will be lost.

• This is not a plumbing connection and care should be taken not to use too much pressure.
  • If the contact inside the valve is flattened, you can use a metal pick (for cleaning teeth) to bend the spring back in the contact (or replace the valve again).
  • I usually use the small ignition wrenches (less than 3 inches long) for the millivolt generator/thermopile connection because a full size wrench/pliers can easily damage the contact by applying too much pressure.

• Also make sure that neither teflon tape nor pipe sealant is used on the electrical connection for the millivolt generator/thermopile.
  • These are routinely used for pressurized piping systems to prevent leaks but will make electrical connections fail.
  • The ball end of the connector is 1/2 of the circuit (this makes contact with the springy contact in the valve), the threaded fitting is the other half.