gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

Refrigerator: GE pts25sbmarbs serial #: df302613 The freezer

Refrigerator: GE pts25sbmarbs serial #: df302613
The freezer is warming up. A month ago I had the same problem and replaced the defrost thermostat. That made a dramatic difference--temporarily. (Without the thermostat it only took 3-4 days to re-frost. With it, it took over a month.) Now the freezer and refrigerater are getting warmer again. A probably unrelated problem: the freezer light goes on and off sporadically.
What could be wrong? Could something else be causing the thermostat to fail?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

good morning.

gst85 :

are your items frozen in the freezer or are they just cooled?

Customer:

they are un-freezing--ice cream, ice, etc.

gst85 :

okay,open the freezer tell me if you can see any frost forming at the wall?

Customer:

there is frost along the back walls, as before

gst85 :

is it a pretty good amount?

Customer:

yes, it's maybe 1/8" covering the bottom 2/3 of the wall on both sides

gst85 :

could you hear the fan running as well?

Customer:

one other thing: the freezer has been pretty packed in this period. we are wondering if filling it could cause the problem. i know of at least one brief time when something was preventing the door from closing completely.

Customer:

i'll check on the fan

Customer:

yes its running

gst85 :

packing up the freezer should not have cause this problem.this sounds like your defrost system has failed.based on the problem that you have.

Customer:

that's what i figured

gst85 :

do you noticed it running longer than usual?

Customer:

that i don't know. it may be. like it was running just now. but i haven't really noticed

gst85 :

now since it is not defrosting like it should it is always the heater or defrost thermostat aka bimetal.but since you have stated that the light tends to flickers it sounds like your actual control board isf faulty.

gst85 :

that is a common failure with GE models.

Customer:

that would cause the light to work sporadically? Is it certainly not the bimetal or heater? The control board got zapped maybe 5 years ago and I replaced it, but it could be that again.

Customer:

if i recall right, it's easy to replace, just a little pricey.

gst85 :

the board controls the entire defrost system.

Customer:

and the light too?

Customer:

weird that replacing the thermostat had a dramatic effect.

Customer:

though temporary

gst85 :

do this before you replace anything.take all if your items out of the freezer.then remove the evaporator cover then when you hear the unit go in to defrost,you should see the heater glowing for a while.if not then the heater or the defrost thermostat is bad.but if the unit does not stop running then your board is just bad.

gst85 :

are you referring to the temperature control board?

\

Customer:

i thought it was the "mother board"--reached from the outside beneath a small panel in the back. Is that the board? Or is it something else?

gst85 :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

gst85 :

Manufacturer Number WR55X10942.go to www.repairclinic.com tell me if this is the part that you replaced?

gst85 :

the location that you are describing it were the board is located.

gst85 :

are you still there?

Customer:

re your advice: i'm not sure how i'll know if it's going into defrost. but i just take the cover off with the unit on (haven't done that before) and wait for something to happen. If it's frosted up, the heater should be glowing, I guess. If it shows no sign of life, I replace thermostat (again) and heater (and sensor)--i have all the parts. Is that right? I'm still wondering if I should replace the board as well. (I'll check to see whether the part you mentioned was the one I replaced. It had big burn mark where it had shorted out.)

gst85 :

ok so that would be the mother board.i would not replace the board again.check it again for any burnt spots on the back of it.

gst85 :

i am going to get you the part numbers.

gst85 :

defrost heater.Manufacturer Number WR51X10038

defrost thermostat.Manufacturer Number WR50X10068

www.repairclinic.com

gst85 :

you can also test the heater for continuity.

gst85 :

that is all the info that you need.

Customer:

is the sensor also a possible culprit? or can I rule that out?

gst85 :

which sensor are you referring to?

Customer:

temperature sensor in freezer

Customer:

wr55x10025

gst85 :

if the sensor is faulty then what it will do is skip the defrost mode.and continue to run but if it does shut down when it is suppose to then that is not the problem.

gst85 :

try to monitor the unit

Customer:

OK I've got it. So: check the thermostat and heater with the unit on to see if they are working. If they are not it's most likely -- or certainly -- the board. Before that I'll try to monitor it and get more info.

Customer:

Many thanks

gst85 :

your welcome.before you go please click on a smiley face.

Customer:

very smiley

gst85 :

good luck to you.

Customer:

thanks

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs