Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I have a Magic Chef Microwave over-the-range Oven, #MC153UW.

I have a Magic Chef Microwave over-the-range Oven, #MC153UW. Something happened recently where the over the range light bulbs blew. Now my oven heats but the turntable doesn't work nor does the interior light turn on when cooking (It turns on upon opening though). I have not replace the under the oven light bulbs yet although the burnt-out ones are still in place. (When I took them out to replace them, they were coated with some kind of plastic film, cellophane in texture.

Should I just replace the whole microwave? It is 6 years old.
Welcome..I have 23 years of Experience In the Appliance Repair Field..Working directly with All Major Appliance Brands...From what you are describing..You had a power surge from the ovens transformer..At 6 years old ..I would replace the unit as the repair can lead to replacing the transformer and any other electrical components damaged (Main Control board Etc) Most newer units are more energy efficient and affordable to replace..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything I can do to prevent future energy surges? Coincidentally, or not based on your answer, my Maytag gas range blew an igniter switch at the same time.....I assume that is the same problem which is why I am interested in anything I can do to prevent a repeat of the surge....
ok i see now..You would have to contact a electrician and see if they can install a surge protector on the fuse panel itself..Thanks Bob