Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I have an RCA Whirlpool Fridge. There is a number 529355 on

Customer Question

I have an RCA Whirlpool Fridge. There is a number 529355 on a label on the side of the door. The fridge has to be from the 50's. The frozen food section was all iced up so I hammerred a screwdriver into the ice and it poked a hole in the upper aluminum coil system and gas escaped. Now the fridge is emitting a horrible smell so i turned it off.

Can this be fixed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..I wish I could say that this could be fixed, however you poked through the evaperator of the old unit, and released all the refridgerant out of it, that was the awful smell you got from the unit, the unit cannot be repaired safely once this has happened, nothing will stick to the hole and the contamination of being exposed to air will cause it to fail quickly, sorry to give you such bad news on this old unit...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will the refrigerator part still work?
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
No it will not, the fridge section relies on the freezer section to cool the unit, once the freezer dies the fridge section also dies with it...