gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

Our electricity went off for approximately an hour and a half.

Our electricity went off for approximately an hour and a half. Ever since then we have not been able to get our 1997 kenmore side by side refrigerator below 45 degrees. The freezer section seems to be okay but the refrigerator side usually is around 50 to 60 degrees. (we try to keep the door closed as much as possible. Also the copper tubing in the back keeps
freezing over although we have thawed the ice off of it twice now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

hi there.

gst85 :

do you have the full model number please?

Customer:

model # XXXXX /p>

gst85 :

can you space out the forst 3 digits.the webstes thinks its a phone number.

Customer:

manufactured in 1997-Kenmore side by side

Customer:

106 58242890

gst85 :

thanks.so if your items in your freezer are not frozen?

Customer:

The Freezer seems to be okay-I have been making ice and the ice cream seems to have the correct hardness-the refrigerator side is the part we are having problems with

gst85 :

open the freezer.can you see any frost forming at the wall?

Customer:

No

gst85 :

okay,now open the fridge the air vent is located at top left corner.tell me if you can feel any air coming out.

Customer:

The air is cold coming from the vent but it isn't blowing very hard

gst85 :

ok it seems that the difuser is not opening up all the way which is why your fridge will not cool down.

gst85 :

just a sed while i look over a few things.

Customer:

Would the electricity shutting off have anything to do with it?

gst85 :

actually when you have a power outtage the first thng to go bad is the control board or the actual compressor but your model does not have a circuit board.is had a timer control which can also fail but i dont believe it is the issue here.go aorund the back feel if the compressor is warm or hot to touch?

Customer:

Is the compressor enclosed in a black round in the lower left of the back of the refrig? Yes, it is pretty warm.

gst85 :

correct.is it hot to touch?

Customer:

yes

gst85 :

and can you feel the fan running next to it?

Customer:

Yes, the fan is running

gst85 :

does the air feel warm?

Customer:

Not extreamely warm. About room temp

gst85 :

ok so the compressor seems to be fine. and the difuser is not fully openning so the the fridge can cool properly.you stated that the copper tube freezes up which tells me that you hvae a sealed system issue.basically what i am trying to say is that it is low on freon.

gst85 :

now that is due uts age and nothing else.

Customer:

Is it pretty pricy to get a person to put more freon in it?

gst85 :

not as mush as actually replacing the compressor.you shoud not pay anymore than 100$ may be just a bit more.but thats a lot cheaper than buying a new fridge.theses models are very expensive these days.

gst85 :
Customer:

Would that involve replacing the the copper lines also as we seem to have lost some freon.

gst85 :

the copper line does not need to be replaced.what the tecnician will need to do is just bypass the internal condensor and only use the external condensor.then recharge the system.

Customer:

Okay-sounds like that may be the problem solved?

gst85 :

if they do this exactly how i stated then yes,that will fix the problem.

Customer:

Thanks-will it also blow more air through the vent in the refrig?

gst85 :

the air flow may not increse but the air will feel much cooler.after this job is done you should see the temperature drop to 35 for the frigde and freeezer should be 20 to 0 degrees.if the temperature does not change in your fridge then your difuser is just bad.let me get you the part number for that.

gst85 :

Manufacturer Number W10151374.www.repairclnic.com

gst85 :

KENMORE Refrigerator Refrigerator liner Parts
Full Size Image

gst85 :

here is a diagram as well.

gst85 :

PART NUMBER:(NNN) NNN-NNNNwww.searsparts

direct.com

gst85 :

are you still there?

gst85 :
Customer:

yes

gst85 :

is there anyhing else that you would like to ask me?

Customer:

I think that is all I can think of right now

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs