Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

kenmore double oven F7 error code. code clears with clear/off,

Customer Question

kenmore double oven F7 error code. code clears with clear/off, but returns. have pulled ribbon connector and it goes away for a while, but still returns. oven is 12 yrs old and have had touch pad and erc replaced on warranty and touch pad myself. looks like erc this time. comments or other checks to perform? thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

F7 means that the touchpad on your double oven has failed. If you've moved the ribbon connector around and it's securely connected to the display board, then there is nothing you can do but to order and replace the touchpad---the issue is NOT the ERC.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that disagrees with the code troubleshooting on the circuit diagram. it says that if after replacing ribbon connector f7 returns, it is the control panel not key pad.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
the troubleshooting diagram is generic and often times incorrect. You can listen to wiring diagram if you want, but you asked a professional what to do and I'm telling you as a professional that you need to replace the touchpad to fix the issue.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

found a thread that explained the problem is actually silver migration across the ribbons. quickly and easily solved by placing index cards between the ribbons and between ribbons and frame. works like a charm. sent back the $350 part.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you were able to solve it another way, but I'm not sure that would really be recommended to use an index card since it is flamable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not really a problem as that is where the circuit diagram is stashed by the manufacturer. in addition, the wiring insulation isn't good over 200 deg and the paper doesn't burn 'til 451, so the temp there isn't intended to be that high.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, it's not, but it can get to high if it gets hot. Also the circuit diagram is against the side wall with nothing around it but metal. The plastic on the front could actually melt if the card catches on fire. Either way, I'm sure you'll probably be fine, but it's something to know about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and thanks for the link.