Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

ge profile bottom freezer model 225c1398p008 freezing food

ge profile bottom freezer model 225c1398p008 freezing food in main compartment. Is it the control unit?

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Sounds more like a bad thermistor.

I will need th eunits model number please. The one you provided is not a good GE model number. It should start with something like PSS or GSS or other letters.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i haven't been able to find the serial number anywhere!
Please click here for help locating the model number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PDS18SB is the model number
I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hello my name isXXXXX have the diagrams.

May I ask is the refrigerator freezing things randomly, does not matter where they are in the fresh food section.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct; top, bottom, middle ... all frozen, and freezer itself is colder too (don't have actual temps, but ice cream is more solid than normal). This is all with settings that are currently set to the warmest setting.
Yes on this model everything is controlled from the top, the temperature control that actually turns off and on the whole refrigerator is in the fresh food section at the top rear. It has broken and that is allowing it to overcool. Replace that part and that will fix it, I have it arrowed in the diagram below and also linked. Be sure to unplug the refrigerator before changing it.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From the pictures of the thermostat, it looks like there are some slide-on connectors. Can you confirm that the replacement is just some straightforward disassembly and plug/play wiring? What is piece 316 in the diagram? Will the housing come out pretty easily so that I can work on its internals outside the fridge? Just want to make sure I can put it all back together properly :-)
Yes the wires pull off and push on. There is nothing special to do except change the part.

Number 316 is a rod that opens and closes the airflow damper it is part of the assembly connected to the freezer control knob. What you are changing is the part that is attached to the fresh food control knob.

Its not a difficult job at all. Just be sure to unplug it from the wall outlet first, take pictures if you can as you go and you will have no trouble.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! Successfully fixed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
BTW, next time you need to answer this question for someone else, it would be useful to note that this fix requires a square drive screwdriver bit (not sure exactly what size). Fortunately, I have a pretty big selection of bits, so had one, but I would imagine others might wonder why their phillips screwdriver isn't working (as I did, initially).

While I had the housing out, I noticed the other electrical part is #47 on that diagram. What is that? Is it likely to be next to fail?
Hi there, it is very hard to remember every assembly for all of the models. I am very sorry I could not remember that for you.

That part number 47 is the timer and no its not likely to fail. What you should look for in the future if that part ever does fail is a frosted floor under the crisper drawers in the fresh food section. When you see that you will know one of the defrost components has failed and that timer is one of those.

Take the best of care,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No worries at all about the screw thing. Just wanted to point it out as potentially useful info for people like me ... I was like, what the heck kind of screw is it? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.
LOL I hear ya. Its like do I need the black box or the blue tool box!