Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hello, I have Kenmore top loader and the motor couplings broke.

Hello, I have Kenmore top loader and the motor couplings broke. I purchased new motor couplings which I'll get in 2 days, but I started to think today, what could have caused the couplings to break? The dog clips look worn out, so those probably also need to be replaced. The issue I'm having is that lower agitator is not moving when I try to move it by hand. Is this because I removed the motor?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The bottom part of the agitator will not move unless the transmission is being turned by the motor---this is normal.

As for the coupler breaking, this is just a maintenence part like a belt and like most belts, they break for no reason at all. Just replace the coupler and you should be good to go again.

As for the agitator dogs, you should be able to turn the top of the agitator one direction effortlessly---but if you try to turn it the opposite direction it will lock up, and that is normal. If it's turning both directions effortlessly, then you need to replace the agitator dogs.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi appliance Doc,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let you know how things go.
Just curious as to what makes the tub spin. Is there something that locks the lower agitator to the tub and then the motor spins making everything spin? Thanks, Jerry
The motor spins and the coupler connects the motor to the transmission. When the transmission turns one direction, it causes the agitator to turn back and forth. When the transmission turns the opposite direction, it causes the inner basket to spin. So really the only difference is that the motor will spin in opposite directions to generate both the spin and the agitation effects.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know if I can find dog clips at Lowe's or Home Depot?
you can not, but the part number you need is 80040 and you can order them at or if you'd like.