Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Whirlool Duet Tumblefresh 4.0. We had a problem

We have a Whirlool Duet Tumblefresh 4.0. We had a problem with the receptacle today where the receptacle failed during a wash cycle. We have replaced the receptacle and plugged in the washer but it won't reset. The best we've been able to get it to do is fill with water once and drain twice. We also unplugged it a few times to no avail. What can we do to reset it?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

OK then run an extension cord to another outlet that you know is working just to make sure the washer is getting power. If so, then you need to pull the washer out and remove the 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. Once you remove the top panel, you can follow the power cord in through the back of your washer and you'll see that it plugs into a small device called a "noise filter". If you have a multimeter, test for power going into the filter to make sure you have 120 volts coming from the power cord. Also test to see if you have 120 volts coming OUT of the filter. If you don't have 120 volts going out but you have 120 volts going, you'll need to replace the noise filter. If you do have 120 volts coming out of the noise filter, the main micro computer control board will need to be ordered and replaced because it has shorted for one reason or another. The main control board is located in the front right corner just behind the control panel of the washer.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would it likely still be one of the possibilities you listed even if the LED's light up on the front? Is there a way to get the door to unlock?
no. If the LEDs on the front light up---then that means that your filter is not the problem. You could have a bad main control board, interface control board, or possibly a bad door lock that thinks the door isn't shutting properly.

See if you can push all the different buttons and options on the control panel. If some of the buttons won't work, then you need a new interface board. If all the buttons work, then you either have a bad main control or a bad door latch and there is really no way to test which one is faulty so it would be a bit of a guess.