Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Repairman doesnt know what is wrong with my Whirlpool refrigerator--MODEL#GD5RHAXNOO

Repairman doesn't know what is wrong with my Whirlpool refrigerator--MODEL#GD5RHAXNOOO, SERIAL#SS4258373 It quit making ice for the 2nd time since I bought it and the bill was several hundred for a "yoke valve" the first time. Repairman
described the problem like this: the tube threw which the water enters the icetray is
full of frozen water--stopping the flow of water. He doesn't know what he needs to do
in order to fix the problem. (Yes, the water dispenser in the door works well). HELP! XXX@XXXXXX.XXX..........XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the same problem happening again? And what I mean is that, did the fill tube going to the icemaker freeze up again? Or do you not know?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I knew the first time was that the icemaker quit.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK so lets see if you have the same problem. If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am in San Antonio, TX and this frig is in my mother's house in Mississippi.

I cannot answer these questions. Have you ever had this same problem described to you by anyone before? I didn't realize that I would need all this info and cannot get this info until tomorrow--mother is 88 yrs old.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have seen the issue you are talking about, there is actually a kit designed to fix the issue. The kit will install a heater to the fill tube so that it doesn't freeze up in the future. The kit number you'd need to order and replace is 4389174 if you're having the same issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Name this "kit", please? And tell me if this kit has anything to do with a

"valve" or "yoke"? Do you think this problem is the same as the time before? Can you tell me approximately the price for one of these "kits"?

This repairman never even suggested any "kit" and made it sound like if this problem continued, the price is very expensive to replace this "sideways" type icemaker, so I might as well replace frig. Your comments are valuable to me since I am all my mother has to take care of her. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I did name the kit, and I even gave you the part number---it's a fill tube heater kit and it's part number 4389174.

There is nothing called a yoke on the refrigerator so I can't tell you what the technician is calling a yoke, but the valve is the part that sends water up to the icemaker---this isn't causing the problem on your refrigerator although on other refrigerator it COULD cause this same issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no problem and good luck.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.