Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that will not shout off in the

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that will not shout off in the auto mode and some times will not get hot
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the dryer isn't heating properly, it actually will advance the timer, which means that both issues are related to the unit not heating properly. First, make sure your vent is cleaned and the best way to do that is just run a cycle without the vent hose connected to the back of the dryer to see if things change. If your dryer still won't dry properly, then this is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just to give you more information the dryer would get hot and not automaticly shout of in the sen mode or it just will not get hot at all

I understand, but whether the dryer gets hot or not, it needs to get to the correct temperature to advance the cycle. Just because the dryer heats a little, if the flame shuts down before the cycling thermostat clicks, the timer will not advance---that is why this problem is associated with the vent being clogged or the coils starting to fatigue and shut off early or not opening the coils at all.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks. so the part number you gave me for both coils?

how dose the dryer know when the clothes are dry?

Yes, the part link I gave you is a kit for both coils.

The dryer doesn't really know if the clothes are dry. What it does is advance the timer when the cycling thermostat turns the heat off. So when the clothes are wet, it takes a lot longer to heat the air to turn the cycling thermostat off, but as the clothes get dryer it takes less time to heat the air which is why the timer will actually move faster toward the end of the auto dry cycle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i get to the coils from the bottom of the dryer
It depends on your model number, but generally the front panel or the lower frnot panel will pull off to access the coils under the drum.