Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a several-year-old 36" viking range I just purchased

Customer Question

I have a several-year-old 36" viking range I just purchased a month ago. It had not been used in awhile. Once installed, I discovered the cooktop would barely light. The first repairman installed a new regulator, but that did not fix the problem. The second repairman had no ideas. Both felt it was over their heads.

The burners will light, but with little btus.

The last repairman tested the gas pressure at the line in..and that was fine. He also felt that the gas pressure at the regulator was fine.

So what gives?

Kevin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Have you checked to make sure that the units were not set up for LP instead of natural. If the orifices are LP orfices the gas pressure will be extremely low for the burners, barelay a flame...let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We found a conversion kit (sealed package) under the stove. The orifices were much smaller in this additional set of orifices than the ones installed in the stove. The conversion kit says it is for converting to LP gas.

So, I am assuming the installed orifices, which have larger orifices, are natural gas...and yes, we have natural gas.

could the regulator be setup incorrectly?
No not likely, if you are not sure just take the regulator out and connect the gas supply and try it...the regulator just makes sure the pressure is around .5psi....which it should be anyway. So all the burners are very low correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, all burners and the oven...the oven/broiler actually will not light....definately not enough gas.
Yes then I would say it is a gas supply issue, I would check the supply to see if you are losing gas to the unit. I have seen supply lines have issues also remove the regulator and hook the line up to it as well. I do not think you have an issue with the oven, I think you have a supply issue or bad regulator.