Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

Serial #: ss4570808 Model#: ksrp25fnss00 Freezer works,

Serial #: ss4570808 Model#: ksrp25fnss00

Freezer works, icemaker works, can't keep the temperature in the fridge above 60 F over the last 24 hours. The fridge very little in it. Manual talks about ensuring the vents between the freezer & fridge are not block, uncertian how to confirm that. The top LH corner of the fridge section as you are looking in, is it some type of fan that would pull colder air in ?

Kindest Regards,

Myles Levang
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. You are somewhat on the right track. However, in the top back left corner of your fridge is a damper. This will open and close depending on how cold you want your fridge. The freezer blows the cold air up in to the fridge through this damper. The damper is controlled by the thermostat setting on the front of your fridge. So, if your fridge is at 60 then your should be able to reach up and feel the cold air coming through the damper. Go ahead and check it and also open your freezer and listen for the fan in the back of the freezer to be running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Randy,

Fan in the back of the freezer is working, no air coming out of the fridge damper even when i set the fridge to a colder setting. I hear a fan sound on the fridge side but I believe it is just the freezer fan I am hearing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry about the delay. Okay when you turn the fridge to a colder setting listen carefully for the damper to open up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't hear the dampener opening as I set it colder but left overnite the fridge is down to the high 30's after leaving it turned on to the coldest setting. I feel a slight amount of cold air coming through the damper.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, it should be a nice amount of air flow. The type of damper you have is very prone for the veins inside the damper to break and not being able to open or close properly anymore. You need to replace the damper assembly to correct the issue. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the damper/diffuser is #24 on the diagram and I am also sending you a pic of what it looks like. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kitchenaid-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-KSRP25FNSS00/0593/0165000/W0405064/00002?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=KSRP25FNSS00

Damper(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Randy,

I was hoping you might suggest the temperature sensor or something less expensive as the damper. Have had these Kitchen Aid appliances for only 6 years & not including this trip to the parts center have spent over $ 1000.00 in replacement parts. I believe I will be looking for another name brand with my next house. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
You are so welcome and I am sorry that it wasn't the sensor. The damper is a poor design as the inside is all plastic which is not good for moving parts with cold air. Again I am sorry about the bad news.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Next time I suggest you look along the Whirlpool line.