Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

My refrigerator is not cooling. The freezer is fine but the

My refrigerator is not cooling. The freezer is fine but the refrigerator is not. Any ideas?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay, do you happen to have the model number of the unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Randy,

It is MSD2651HEB

Okay, do me a favor and open the freezer door. Look in the back of the freezer to see if there is any ice or frost buildup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is minimal frost on top. In the bottom it looks more frosty with some ice.
Okay, what it appears to be is your freezer is not defrosting. If it doesn't defrost the evaporator coils will freeze up and will stop the freezer from blowing cold air in to the fridge. You need to remove the back panel of the freezer to access the evaporator coils so we can defrost them. Let me know when to continue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Remove what back panel? from the back of the refrigerator? there is a metal panel but no screws. On the bottom is a small black panel, is this what you mean. Or is this panel inside the freezer?
I am sorry I am talking about the freezer. I am sending you a diagram of the freezer and the panel is #19 on the diagram. You may have to scrap the sides a bit to get to the screws of the panel.

MAYTAG Maytag refrigeration Freezer compartment (series 50) Parts
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Gottcha!! I'm in process of removing it.
okay, again sorry about the bad explanation at first and I will be here when you are ready to resume.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Panel is off. It's definitely frozen back there.
Okay, you are going to have to defrost all of it with a hair dryer. This will allow you to at least get up and running. Once you get is complete defrosted take a look and mount on the coils is the defrost thermostat. Look at the thermostat to make sure it is flat on the top part of the thermostat. I am sending you a picture of the thermostat. Now if that is okay then your problem is the adaptive defrost board. This is located inside your fridge on the top left behind the light. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the board is #12 on the diagram and you can get at any appliance part store. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Randy. Now if the problem is either one of these, then all I need to do is order the part and replace it?? You said to look at the thermostat and make sure it is flat on the top part of the themostat, right? What can I do in the future to avoid this problem?
Correct to the first 2 questions. Now as far as what you can do in the future, nothing. It is just one of those things that can happen to any fridge. The parts go bad for no apparent reason. Now, once you defrost the coils and check out the thermostat you can put the freezer back together and your fridge will run until you get the part. It will last for about a week before it starts freezing up to where you need to defrost it manually again. Then when you replace the part you won't have this problem again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can see the thermostat. It does not look like the picture. I can't figure out if it is flat. How do you know if the thermostat is not flat? How can you tell if the adaptive defrost board is faulty?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How can I send you a picture of what my thermostat looks like to see if it is ok?

If ti doesn't look like the picture I sent you then it is bad. Now also on that chances are the thermostat isn't bad as that is not the most common reason. To be honest, I usually replace the board first even without looking at the thermostat.