Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

My refrigerator is not cooling. The freezer is fine but the

My refrigerator is not cooling. The freezer is fine but the refrigerator is not. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay, do you happen to have the model number of the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy,

It is MSD2651HEB

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, do me a favor and open the freezer door. Look in the back of the freezer to see if there is any ice or frost buildup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is minimal frost on top. In the bottom it looks more frosty with some ice.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what it appears to be is your freezer is not defrosting. If it doesn't defrost the evaporator coils will freeze up and will stop the freezer from blowing cold air in to the fridge. You need to remove the back panel of the freezer to access the evaporator coils so we can defrost them. Let me know when to continue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remove what back panel? from the back of the refrigerator? there is a metal panel but no screws. On the bottom is a small black panel, is this what you mean. Or is this panel inside the freezer?
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I am talking about the freezer. I am sending you a diagram of the freezer and the panel is #19 on the diagram. You may have to scrap the sides a bit to get to the screws of the panel.

MAYTAG Maytag refrigeration Freezer compartment (series 50) Parts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gottcha!! I'm in process of removing it.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
okay, again sorry about the bad explanation at first and I will be here when you are ready to resume.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Panel is off. It's definitely frozen back there.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you are going to have to defrost all of it with a hair dryer. This will allow you to at least get up and running. Once you get is complete defrosted take a look and mount on the coils is the defrost thermostat. Look at the thermostat to make sure it is flat on the top part of the thermostat. I am sending you a picture of the thermostat. Now if that is okay then your problem is the adaptive defrost board. This is located inside your fridge on the top left behind the light. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the board is #12 on the diagram and you can get at any appliance part store. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Maytag-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-MSD2651HEB/3048/0165000/M0606036/00024?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=MSD2651HEB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Randy. Now if the problem is either one of these, then all I need to do is order the part and replace it?? You said to look at the thermostat and make sure it is flat on the top part of the themostat, right? What can I do in the future to avoid this problem?
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Correct to the first 2 questions. Now as far as what you can do in the future, nothing. It is just one of those things that can happen to any fridge. The parts go bad for no apparent reason. Now, once you defrost the coils and check out the thermostat you can put the freezer back together and your fridge will run until you get the part. It will last for about a week before it starts freezing up to where you need to defrost it manually again. Then when you replace the part you won't have this problem again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see the thermostat. It does not look like the picture. I can't figure out if it is flat. How do you know if the thermostat is not flat? How can you tell if the adaptive defrost board is faulty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I send you a picture of what my thermostat looks like to see if it is ok?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
If ti doesn't look like the picture I sent you then it is bad. Now also on that chances are the thermostat isn't bad as that is not the most common reason. To be honest, I usually replace the board first even without looking at the thermostat.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.