Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

Hi there, I have a Kenmore Elite Ultrawash Quietguard 11 dishwasher,

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a Kenmore Elite Ultrawash Quietguard 11 dishwasher, and all of a sudden, the "normal wash", "high-temp wash" and the #2 on the "delay wash" button don't work. On top of that, the "START" button doesn't work. I've tried turning the circuit breaker off (for 4 hours) and then turning it back on again, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank-you in advance!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Try to reset the controls. To do this, pPress "high temp wash, heated dry, High temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash"

All the lights will go solid at which point you press cancel to reset the board.

**NOTE** if you don't have a "heated dry" button, use the "air dry" or "energy saver dry" button instead.

If the touch control panel doesn't reset, it will just need to be ordered and replaced because it's just shorted for one reason or another. The touch control panel costs about $130 or so normally depending on the exact model number.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

The "high temp wash" button is one of the buttons that doesn't work. It doesn't light up when you push it. So pushing those buttons in sequence doesn't seem to do anything. Is there anything else we can try? If not, and the panel needs to be replaced, is this something that my husband could do himself? We're on a remote island and it would be difficult/costly to get a repair technician here. Or would it work to remove the door from the dishwasher and just take that back with us or something?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you if still needed. Yes your husband can replace himself and it will save you alot of money. He will just have to take off the inner door to access the control panel. You can order the part from searspartsdirect.com. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! Do you know if the part will come with installation instructions? So if we go to that website and buy a "control panel" for this unit (rather than trying to pull it apart in advance), it will help us to replace the piece?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
It may or may not come with instructions but once you see the part you will see how to replace. Also if you go to searspartsdirect.com and put in the model number it will bring up a diagram of your unit so you can also see how to replace the panel.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Randy,

One last question - do you think it's possible that this is a problem with the circuit board? Or definitely the "electronic control"? It's obviously not the fuse, since there seems to be only one, and it's for thermal control. I'm just trying to narrow down which part to buy.

Thanks a lot!

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
No, the control panel controls not only the buttons but also the lighting up of the button. If is was the control board you would still be able to select buttons but nothing would happen when you change the selection. If it was the thermal fuse you would lose ALL power to the dishwasher. Power goes from where you connect to the dishwasher, through the thermal fuse, through the door latch and then back to the control board. So, for future reference, if the thermal fuse was bad it would act just like if you turn off power to the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much!!!! I really appreciate all your help!
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome and great job on your part.