Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I, too, am struggling with the belt, but not in the complicated

Customer Question

I, too, am struggling with the belt, but not in the complicated parts. I can't figure out where the belt rests on the drum iself. Does it not go into one of the grooves, but just sit tightly around the girth of the drum? What keeps it from sliding around?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Hello,. my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. May I please have the model number of the dryer so I can pull it up and see the belt routing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry. It's a Maytag electric model DE482

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I am going to send you a link that shows the belt required for your dryer. I know you have the belt but it also has a diagram and a video to show you how to replace your belt. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy. Let me know if you are still having issues.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/Y312959/1246110
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, that link takes me to the diagram (and video) about getting the belt on, but both of those focus on how to get the belt around the pulley (those two little wheels). But what I want to know about is the BIG thing, the drum itself, the thing that most of the belt goes around. Where ON THE DRUM does the belt rest?
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
It will rest about two thirds the way back on the drum itself with the ribs of the belt facing up on the drum. I hope that is what you are needing or am I just being stupid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You're not being stupid. The reason your original answer wasn't what I needed is probably that you couldn't believe somebody would be stupid enough to ask what I'm actually asking.

I think you've got the question now, but I don't need to know about the ribs facing up and so on. I'm just trying to figure out how to make sure the belt goes directly up to a point on the drum so that it will stay on. If I put the belt too far toward the front of the dryer, or too far toward the back, it will surely come off when I turn the machine on. So need to get it right. It seems like there should be a groove there or it. Is there?

I guess this is the main question: is there a groove on the drum itself, the big thing, the actual drum, in which the belt is supposed to go? Or does it not need to go in any sort of groove on the drum (and there is a suitable looking groove there that it COULD go it, but I read that it doesn't need to go in that.

So, is there a particular place, a clearly defined groove, that the belt needs to go into ON THE DRUM?

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Oh, now I truly understand. No, after you put the belt on, and it tells you this in the video too, turn the drum slowly by hand CLOCKWISE and the belt will naturally move to the exact position that it needs to go in to due to the motor pulley and the idler pulley will line it up naturally. It usually will take about three 360 degree turns to get it lined up. Also make sure you turn it Clockwise or it will more than likely come off the idler pulley.