Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

We have a side by side sub zero. For about a month, the leak

We have a side by side sub zero. For about a month, the leak puddle is the size of a palm every 12 hrs. The puddle is at the bottom, and align with the seam of the freezer and regrigerator doors.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of the unit? Is the water in the front? Is it on the fridge or freezer side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Heloo Randy, it is 642. And the the water is right in the middle, aligned with the fridge and freezer side doors seam, and in the front.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, do me a favor and pull out the bottom drawer of the fridge and feel if there is water under the drawer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, there is some. Not a lot, maybe just 4-5 palm full.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again and sorry about the delay. Okay in the back of your fridge just above the either the bottom drawer or the one above it you should see like a trough. Feel inside the middle of the trough for ANY ice. This is the drain for your evaporator for the fridge. It is common for that drain to get clogged and cause water to overflow slightly. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Randy, I found some white stuff (feels and looks like plain yogert, maybe a little harder) and residue water in the trough, not ice as it won't melt on my finger. It seems the drain is clogged and the water is leaked along the gap between the trough and freezer back wall.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, there are 2 things you can do. Blow out the drain and then you can get a heater but you will have to call SubZero directly to find a parts dealer in you area. SubZero is very select on who they allow to sell parts and repair the units. Now, if you don't want to pay the money for the heater (which is not a necessary part) you can forgo that and just remember in the future that IF this happens again just check the drain. Lastly, I do recommend that about every 6 months just pour 1/2 cup bleach down the trough to help keep it clean. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.