Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a GE Cafe Microwave Model CVM 2072 SMISS that has been

I have a GE Cafe Microwave Model CVM 2072 SMISS that has been installed to an outside vent since January 2008. Recently a notice came up that the charcoal filter needed to be replaced. At the same time the keypad would sometimes not work until the microwave was unplugged and rebooted. We purchased and installed a filter and discovered that there was never any filter installed in this microwave that was installed professionally. The keypad is lit and shows the numbers. The message still sometimes comes up that the filter needs replacing. Sometimes the touchpad works and when it will not, we can get it to work by unplugging and re-plugging. I notice there are two very expensive parts for this microwave, and I am hoping this is not such a major item. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks. Connie
an electronic smart board and a main control board.

I`m afraid that the control board it in need of replacing .

When you turn the power off and back on ,you are reseting the control .

This parts link is for part number and price reference only,, you can purchase the part at any local Appliance parts dealer in your area.

http: //www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Microwave-Parts/WB27X10901/0022/364/Model-CVM2072SM1SS/0432/0123370?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G0710002&diagramPageId=00001&productTypeId=0123370&searchModelNumber=CVM2072SM1SS&subCompDesc=Microwave&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=MICROWAVE&blt=11&shdMod=CVM2072SM1SS

And yes it is one of the more expensive parts !

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate confirmation of my own research. I would like to know if it is something I can replace once I get the part. I am searching for information regarding this now.

oh yes if you are handy it only takes basic hand tools .

Just remember to unplug the unit before doing any work on the unit .

and thank you for rating me too!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ordered the non-returnable part and now the microwave key pad is working just fine. Is it possible the problem was something else. If it is a computer, I do not see how it fixed itself.

have you opened the box that the part came in ?

the control is only held in place with four screws and very easy to replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not opened the box with the new part. I do not see any reason to replace the control board since the microwave appears to be working fine just now.