Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

model #kgra806pss02 My problem is the off button on the membrane quit working.....I canno

Customer Question

model #kgra806pss02
My problem is the off button on the membrane quit working.....I cannot get the control panel off to get to the screws holding the membrane. I have removed all the screws in the front under the control panel and the two behind the bottom door for the side panels. I still cannot get the side panels or control panel to release.....the tech sheet or the link doesnt tell me the trick required to get the silly panels off?????

https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/2cd44500d572193285256a45004fd9d6/31b22701e542b5fe85256f0e00472272/$FILE/kac_42.pdf
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Good evening, I will first tell you that you've picked a tough job for a do it yourself repair. These are not pleasant to repair. You must remove the burner heads, remove the top, remove the thin side shields under the top to access what you need to remove the side panels to get to the screws on the side of the console. Once you have the top removed, you'll be able to see more clearly. I believe also, the side panels have a screw on the back near the bottom you must take off as well. Memory may or may not be serving me well on that last part lol. BE CAREFUL with the burner heads. Do not force anything, as you can break the sensitive tubing underneath, AND you can also break the ceramic ignitors. Best of luck to you, and I hope this helps you out.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Disregard that. See if there are mounting screws under your unit console. If so, it should rotate forward slightly. The screws on the side, you may have to remove the side panels. There are a few variations on how these come apart over the years. I tried copy and pasting an image from the service manual, but the PDF won't let me copy images from whirlpool/kitchenaid database.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Here, I did a prt sc capture and loaded into Word: I'll attach this so you can see the two different variations.

Attachment: 2012-07-18_024546_karange.docx

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
The one you can see has holes, the black one you see you need to remove the side panels.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I remove the side panels? I have tried pushing them back and they don't move??? If I can remove panels I can remove end caps and the console should remove easily from there?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
There is a screw on the rear of each side panel, sometimes two. You need to access them from behind the range.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I meant to ask how do you take off (or slide) the cook trim pieces to expose the end cap screws?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Some of these do involve removal of the cook top as I mentioned then told you to disregard. They made these three or four different ways. If you have the sides of the oven removed and show no access screws for those trim pieces, you will have to remove the burner heads and take off the top for access. Believe me, I know what kind of pain these are to work on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at this juncture perhaps I should call someone that knows what they are doing. at this point I don't want to make more work for myself by breaking the fragile pieces of the burners.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
That might not be a bad idea. This model has been changed over the years almost entirely to make replacement of that console easier. You probably have on of the earlier ones. I wish I could be right there with you, but we do the best we can here at Just Answer. Unfortunately, I've done this job many times on this range. It's a lot of disassembly. Good luck to you my friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your quick responses and information.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
You are quite welcome. By the way, the burners aren't bad to remove. You just need to do it gingerly. I did attempt to upload the service manual for you, but Kitchenaid has a lock on their PDFs. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you possibly sketch-out the procedure with steps?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
That's a bit of a tall order lol. Let me try to work out another word doc though. It'll take me a bit as I'm currently not in front of my computer. On iPhone right now. Let me know exactly what details you need and I'll do my best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if at all possible sketch out the below steps with detailed instructions. I realize this is a tall order any information will help trust me...lol.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please respond to my last question below I am not finished asking questions.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Sir, you'll need to remove the side panels of the range and the cooktop. I wish I could help you further, but I don't have any other suggestions. It's a matter of removing screws. I can't draw specific directions. The technical manual is not available to consumers. I pasted screen shots into Word to show you some different approaches. You said you may opt to call someone in. If I could be there turning the wrench, I certainly would. You have to get those side panels off. Screws are in the back. Then probably remove the top. There was three or four revisions of this range.
If your model is an earlier one, you'll have to remove the top to get to those side trim pieces. That's all and everything I can tell you at this point. Yes, your keypad is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"If your model is an earlier one" this is my model #kgra806pss02. is it an earlier one?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
What is your serial number? I can tell you when it was made.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

This is another word doc. This is all I can do for you. There are screws you must remove at the back of the side panels. Then you must slide the panels toward the rear, and they will come off. I hope this helps you, as I've exhausted all efforts at this point. Thank you.

Attachment: 2012-07-19_184052_doc1.docx