Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Kenmore dryer wont stay on when start button released

Customer Question

Kenmore elite quiet pak II dryer won't stay on when I release the start button. The electrical outlet was arcing and tripped the breaker. the outlet has been repaired but the dryer still turns on when I push the start button but stops when the start button is released. Model # XXXXX 1. what part do I need to buy 2. How do I repair the dryer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Jon Grella : Hello
Jon Grella : My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an appliance expert here at the website.
Jon Grella : The problem you are experiencing is not a problem with the start button. It's a problem with the motor.
Jon Grella : There is a centripetal switch that is inside the motor and when you press down the start button it makes a connection between the switch and the motor that wiL allow the motor to run. When you let go of the start button, the motor will run on its own. If the centripetal switch has been blown or damaged inside the motor, the motor will not run unless you continuously hold down the start button.
Jon Grella : We can check the start button for continuity to see if the start button is good. Nine times out of ten it is and the problem is within the motor.
Jon Grella : Now, if you had a problem with the outlet and it was arcing, that may have been the cause for the bown centripetal switch in the motor.
Jon Grella : You can get the parts for your machine at www.searspartsdirect.com or at www.marcone.com or at your loca appliance parts store.
Jon Grella : Depending on the age of your machine, it may not be worth it for you to replace the motor. If this machine is older than eight years, you are past it's midlife and will be most definitely see more problems sometimes soon. I would hate to see you spend more than $150 on the motor just to have something else break in the near future.
Jon Grella : I see this problem very often with this model machine, especially of there is either a power outage or surge or electrical problem to the outlet the machine is plugged into.
Jon Grella : If you need more help, please get back to me here and I wiL help you more.
Jon Grella : Life you feel that I have helped answer your question, please remember to rate my performance below with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit for helping you.
Jon Grella : If you feel that I do not deserve that kind of rating, please do not leave negative ratings. Simply hit continue conversation link to come back here and I will help you until you a re completely satisfied.
Jon Grella : Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I specifically asked what part # XXXXX need to repair my dryer, and how to install it. Neither were answered. Also, I'm not sure if I need motor (part #?) or centripetal switch (part #?) Does the centripetal switch make the start button work, and that's the part he doesn't think I need? Mainly I wish my tech had continued to be available. He's offline and I need to solve this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
What is motor part #? What is centripetal part #? How do I install each? Does the centripetal switch in the motor control the start button?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! You likely do not need either of those parts. There is a control board for the "Even Heat" option in your dryer that has likely failed. Most often times, there will be visible damage to the board. Remove the end cap on each side of the control panel by prying the top up and they will snap off. That will expose a screw on each side of the panel. Remove those screws and pull the console forward and hinge it up. The board is mounted to the console. Examine both sides for any signs of damage, like burn marks. Let me know what you find. The board is pictured below as a reference.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We can't get top off. Do we pry top of or control panel up?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, you have the newer style. Insert a putty knife under each end cap to release the clips, number 14 in the picture. I am really sorry about that.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The video below may help access the board.

Repair Video
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok there aren't any burn marks on either side. now what?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Do you see any discoloration? When you start it, does the motor hum or buzz at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No discoloration on either side. when I pushed the start button, it sounded like it's supposed to sound, no hum, no buzz. Now what?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you will need to disassemble the machine to proceed. Are you up for that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if we can do this. Should we put the control board back on?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can put the control board back on. It is likely okay with no visible signs of damage. The centrifugal switch is part of the motor assembly and is the only other thing that will cause the issue you are having. The motor is available at the link below as well as a video showing how to replace it.

The link below is to the part you will need from a company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau, also with the best return policy in the industry. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund!

Motor <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE MOTOR ASSEMBLY

Repair Video <----- CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know before rating my answer. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved. Bonuses are not mandatory but are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for walking me through looking at the control board first. Also, my biggest thanks for spelling the parts correctly. The other tech typed centripetal switch several times and I didn't think that was correct, but who am I to know about dryer parts? So the next step is to order the motor and watch how to install it. So I have to decide if it's worth it to me to buy an expensive motor or just buy a new dryer. Hmmm.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am very particular about my grammar...sometimes to a fault, I am told. Wink However, I look at is a reflection on me as a tech as my posts are the only thing a customer has to judge me on. I guess it could be compared to showing up to a service call in dirty clothes and not speaking well!?

About 90% of the time the board will show visible signs of damage. I would at least disassemble the machine and inspect the motor. Not often, but sometimes the lint can build up enough that it impedes the centrifugal switch from moving properly and can cause the symptoms you are now seeing. If it is not packed with lint, you will likely need to replace the motor. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hello again

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner and for the misspelling of the switch of the motor. My spell check didn't pick it up.

I didn't think you would be so confused by a misspelled word. But I guess it could happen.

Either way, I told you exactly what Kelly had said. That the switch inside the motor was not making contact when the start button was being pushed. And the motor would need to be replaced.

I knew for a fact that the board was not the problem. In most cases it is not. And I could have saved you the time of checking it.

Just to explain and defend myself. I don't always have the time to check my every word like Kelly does. I am far too busy here with answering questions and with my business to spend that much time checking grammatical errors. I wish I had the time like Kelly does to make sure all of my t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

I do believe my point was made clear. And that is the most important part of the equation here. But if you feel that it wasn't, I will be sure next time to dumb it down a bit more and spell everything correctly.

Thank you for the negative comments as it will only make me work harder to better my answers here. And I hope that you got the service and answers you needed to fix your problem. Even if I had said it first.