Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

MY GE SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR IS NOT DEFROSTING. I HAVE THE

Customer Question

MY GE SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR IS NOT DEFROSTING. I HAVE THE COVER OFF THE BACK. WHICH PART DO I NEED TO REPLACE?

THANK YOU
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
The most common failure is the defrost heater. If you pull the pink and blue wire off, you can measure resistance with a multimeter, or take the part to an appliance parts store near you. In the interim, defrost with a hair dryer to get you back up and running.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
I saw you posted again regarding the heater... Make sure you always reply to the same post so I am sure to get it. Thank you for accepting my answer by the way. Depending on your model, if the heater tests ok (usually around 25-30 ohms) then you'd be looking possibly at a failed motherboard/defrost timer. Not sure which you have since you didn't list your model. GE Side by Sides are famous for failed heaters. The replacement, if that's what you find wrong, may be different. Some of the single glass tube heaters are now made as double heaters. Not to worry, the instructions are included if that's the case. Good luck...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI JUSTIN,

I WAS AWAY FOR A FEW DAYS SO I WAS UNABLE TO GET BACK TO YOU. I HAD RESPONDED TO YOUR ANSWER BUT I MUST HAVE CLICKED THE WRONG BUTTON BECAUSE I WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AGAIN TO ASK AN ADDITIONAL QUESTION SO I GOT OFF YOUR JUST ANSWER SITE. MY MODEL NUMBER FOR MY GE SIDE BY SIDE REFER IS TFX 28P BDA WW. I HAVE ORDERED A NEW HEATER AND DEFROST TIMER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I HOPE THAT CHANGING THESE PARTS WILL WORK.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

It probably will. The problem is most likely the heater. You can do a continuity check from blue to pink. Should read around 30 Ω.

Good luck to you Robert :)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI JUSTIN,

I INSTALLED THE HEATER. THE OLD ONE DID NOT LOOK TOO GOOD. BLACK POWDER FELL OUT OF IT WHEN I TOOK IT OFF.

I MENTIONED THAT I ORDERED THE DEFROST TIMER ALSO.

COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE IT IS LOCATED?

THANK YOU

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

HI JUSTIN,

I INSTALLED THE HEATER. THE OLD ONE DID NOT LOOK TOO GOOD. BLACK POWDER FELL OUT OF IT WHEN I TOOK IT OFF.

COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE IT IS LOCATED?

THANK YOU

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
It is in the fresh food section behind the controls
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
See Part 257