SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

Door Stops

Customer Question

I have a Viking refrigerator 36 inch French Door Counter top depth with bottom freezer. When the door opens it hits the handles of the appliance on either side. The Viking rep says door stops are the solution, but they have been backordered for 3 months. Who can I get these from for this refrigerator model VCFFO36SS? 

VCFF036SS
Submitted: 2 years ago via HelpOwl.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The stop is just a threaded bolt that sits up in the hinge plate, not any special part. You can look up at the hole size and find a machine bolt that will fit there. A trip to the hardware store it all you need. The screw should be about 2-3 inches long and ffit in one of the three holes up top under the upper hinge. The different holes are for different opening amounts.

JACUSTOMER-zzf40ps7- :

Have tried this for this model of Viking VCFFO36SS?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I have tried this on this hinge several times.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The idea of a stop bolt has been used for a long time and is standard for the industry. I had this Viking a few months ago and we had to order a new bolt. Viking was back ordered then and I used a screw from my tool bag as a temp. Worked fine.

JACUSTOMER-zzf40ps7- :

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. When you remove the cover on the top right hinge, there are three 5/16" hex head screws that attach the hinge to the refrigerator. I don't see how installing a longer bolt in one of these holes is going to act as a stop. the actual door swings on a door hinge pin. Can you explain this clearer.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sorry, my internet has been going in and out and I wasn't able to get on the tech page, This is the older Viking fridge that was made by Amana. The threaded holes should be at the lower hinge plate for each door.

JACUSTOMER-zzf40ps7- :

I won't be at the house where this refrigerator is located until 2 weeks from now and will check this. Do you have a link to the lower hinge part that will show this? The Viking Installation Guide doesn't show much detail for this refrigerator.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The solution you described was not accurate. I finally located the Viking Hinge stop and it does not use the threaded bolt you described in your response. I ended up replacing the both lower hinges with 100 Degree hinge stops made by Viking for this situation.