Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Hotpoint refrigerator hts22gbpbrww which i purchased

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint refrigerator hts22gbpbrww which i purchased new about 5 years ago or so. it came with an ice maker which never worked. The local appliance folks came out a few times and gave me a replacement ice maker, replaced the water line to the refrigerator twice (once plastic, the 2nd time copper). There is water to the back of the refrigerator and the ice maker (both of them have worked) goes through its motions with no water. I gave up for a few years and now want to get the damned thing fixed. Can you tell me what is between where the water line comes in at the bottom left of the refrigerator and where it should enter the ice maker inside the freezer, that could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon. if this ice maker is cycling but no water is going in the electronic water valve is the only thing between the house water and the ice maker. you can order this at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/WR57X10033/914151?RCAID=1000065 it around $17.00 its easy to replace and comes with instructions. I hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I meant to tell you the valve is in the back where the water line from the house connects.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bryan - I don't think my previous response got to you. I followed the video on the link provided to test the water valve. it shows 176 ohms with refrigerator turned off. the video said 500+ to prove that continuity.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes that true but that just means the continuity is there for the coil but that doesn't mean the valve is actually opening. if you read it says you can test the electrical side and see if thats good but this also has a mechanical part that is most likely stuck and the valve is not opening. so what I'm trying to say the valve electrically is okay but inside is stuck and doesn't open. if you watch the video again its says in the beginning it says this is both electrical and mechanical. your only testing the electrical part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to Sears and got the replacement valve and put it in. Strong water pressure through the copper tube before connecting to the new valve. What needs to be done to get the ice machine to ask for water? And how long should it take to happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Technician is offline
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm back sorry I took a break been working since 7 am. do you have the ice maker turned on ? is it cycling ? (turning )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan - I never took it out of the freezer. the light is green. i did turn it off, waiting about 15 seconds, and turned it back on. that was about 30 or so minutes ago. still no water. i did remember to turn the water on ;-). it is not turning

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well it wont call for water until it turns. the water part of the cycle is about 3/4 of the way through the cycle. when was the last time you saw it move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's been a while since I paid attention ..... i have heard it cycle recently. i'll keep an eye and ear on it tonight and see what happens. Thank you for your help so far!

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome. if the ice maker cycles it will fill and make ice. thats the only other part between the ice maker and the house water. have a great night. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bryan - No good so far. Saturday evening around midnight I checked with no luck. I 'primed' it by pouring water into the ice slots and by morning it had cycled and dumped the cubes. However, no water. Prior to hooking up the new switch, I had checked water pressure(very High), blew through the hose from switch to tube at back of freezer (open) and blew through the tube through back wall of freezer (open). any further ideas? Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
wow okay, this cycled and dumped the ice but didnt refill ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the ice cube tray had a slight amount of water in it after but wasn't sure if that was just from a freezer defrost cycle. nothing has happened since.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay can you make a test cord out of an old lamp cord? you will need two 1/4" connectors that you can plug directly onto the valve and plug it into the wall to see if water goes to the ice maker ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IT WORKED!! What's next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

well, if the valve worked its not great news, it means the ice maker from sitting so long has corroded contacts inside and isn't sending the power to the valve. in other words the ice maker will need to be replaced unfortunately. I hate giving you bad news I really do

you've done such a good job and hate to see you have to replace it but thats what you need , its an after market ice maker so you will need to remove it and get a number off it to get a replacement. sorry for the bad news. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan - I never got back to you to tell you that I fixed the ice maker. The modular connector at the back of the freezer had 1 pin that appeared to be further back in the connector. I pull it out with needle nose plyers and reconnected the ice maker. water immediately filled the ice maker and it has worked perfectly since!

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Oh thats awesome ! rarely see that. I'm so glad its going again. had me scratching my head! LOL thanks for letting me know. Bryan