Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Jenn Air model JSD2588AEW Fridge and my fridge and

Customer Question

I have a Jenn Air model JSD2588AEW Fridge and my fridge and freezer are warmer than normal
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. I

Are both fans, the one in the freezer and the one behind the refrigerartor operating along with the compressor?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. and I can the hear the compressor running. It doesn't stop running either. I cleaned the Condensor off also. The fan in the back for the condensor doesn't spin as fast as the one for the evaporator. Also I just had a power surge as my house a day before this started happening

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
And if you were to remove that panel inside at the bottom rear of the freezer it would not be lightly coated with frost?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I don't see any frost anywhere besides the evaporator. Also the compressor gets hot to the touch when the fridge is plugged in after 20 mins and with in the hour the Evaporator starts to frost over.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The evaporator was what I was meaning, I am sorry for the confusion. I am not used to people knowing where an evaporator is. Were the coils clogged with frost or lightly coated from top to bottom? Or do they get partially coated with frost?

The heater and thermostat measure good.

The fan at the rear does not turn as fast as the freezer fan, what I would do if I thought it might be turning slow is touch the center strip between the doors and see if that is hot to the touch. Is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They were Clogged full of ice. and what doors are you talking about? are you talking about the strip between where the front feezer doors and front fridge door are? That strip? Or which strip are you talking about?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The strip in the front where there door gaskets meet should be warm and not hot. That is normal and is a very good indicator of fan speed. Its warm there to keep the gaskets dry. Hot is if you get close to the gasket and can smell hot rubber.

Let me know,
Thanks
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure. I have the fridge apart now. I have the controls out, and the panel off the freezer. If you want I'll put it back together and check the strip between the doors, but if there's some other things I should check before I put it together now would be a good time instead of taking everything back apart. By the way I'm an automotive technician so I kind of get the hint of what's going on with this A/C system as compared to a car's system. Also How hot should the compressor during operation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Hi this is Bryan. Barry opted out. so the coils were packed with ice ? inside the freezer ? were all the coils frosted or just one section like half?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They were packed with ice
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay this is definitely a defrost issue. thats also why it ran all the time. the temp never got to where it needed to be . to test the defrost thermostat (the one on the coils) it needs to be cold. I know the defrost heater and thermostat are a one piece unit in this is that correct ? you need to have the thermostat cold and isolated from the heater to see if it has failed,. can you do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the Coil and the thermostat are all one piece. Well I Ohmed out the Thermostat that and at room temperature it was 56 Kilo ohms and the coil Ohmed out at 24.4 Ohms. Also the adaptive deforst box I had out and I believe someone already replaced it. It says New on the back of it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay can you put the defrost thermostat back on the coils and run the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour then test the defrost thermostat with it still on the coils and cold ? no need to plug the heater and thermostat back in to do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the fridge plugged back in. So when the thermostat get cold with the coils do you want me to ohm it out again then?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes, test it the way this video shows you with the meter only you wont need cold water you will have it cold from the coils. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/4387490/586200
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shouldn't the resistance of that thermostat be changing? I just have my DVOM sitting in the freezer ohming it out and it's still at 56 KOhms.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you should have continuity when its cold . did you watch the video ? wait until the thermostat is cold if theres no change its bad but you don't need to replace the whole thing with the heater you can just order a thermostat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So It should be the thermostat then. It's still sitting at 56K ohms. Which in my opinion would be a lot of resistance. By that movie you shared with me, it sounds like it should be near 0 Ohms of resistance.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes the thermostat is bad. the one I gave you the link to will work for yours. just wire nut it in, these are basically all the same. in most they don't come with the heater like yours but thats more money if you order the whole thing. BTW you can put the back panel back in and this will run correctly for about 3 weeks before it freezes up again. so you have plenty of time for the replacement to come in. good job ! the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So wait you're saying that I can run the fridge without the thermostat being hooked up? Bcuz my fridge still isn't getting cold enough. :/
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, did you get all the frost out of the freezer before restarting this ? if you left the thermostat out its okay as long as you cap the wires of left the heater assembly unplugged. how long has this been back on ? did you put the back panel in the back of the freezer back in ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I let it run after I talked to you last for and hour and the freezer temp was @ 20 and fridge temp was at 60, but I didn't have the damper spring on the fridge side. I lost it. I already ordered that and the thermostat. but I left that damper door out. So I figured the fridge would just be cold. It's unplugged again bcuz the compress never shut off that day. Would you like me to plug it in over night and check the temperatures in the morning?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes plug it in overnight. these can take up to 24 hours to stabilize thats why the compressor kept running. make sure the back panel in the freezer is back in though, thats important for air flow, I'll bet in the morning this is cold again. get back to me and let me know, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, I was wondering the status of your refrigerator ? is it running ? please let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Bryan. I just recieved the parts for the fridge. I got the thermostat and damper spring, but just today it started acting funny again. The temperature in the Freezer is 30 and fridge is at 60. I'm not sure what changed, but it worked fine since I talked to you last til today. I need to put the damper spring in tomorrow and get the thermostat in. Any clue why I started having issues again today?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

is it doing the same thing ? freezing up ? in the freezer behind the panel ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I removed that panel and it's froze up again. Is there anyway I can force the deforster element to run? I shorted out the wires for the thermostat to see if the defroster would get warm but it didn't.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

try clicking the refrigerator section light switch 5 times fast. on some models this will put it in defrost. you'll hear it shut down if it does.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll hear the compressor kick out? I tried that and the compressor is still running, but I accidently shorted out one of the white wires on the thermostat and had to reset the breaker. I'll try again later. I was just wondering if there was voltages or anything that I could be checking from the defroster control board.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
no not really these are electronic and you can't force defrost other than the way I said unfortunately, sorry. you will be able to tell tomorrow whether this is defrosting or not most likely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ha I kinda figured. I work on cars for a living and it's sometimes the same way. If there's Power and ground then the module is bad. I Installed the thermostat just now, so that should be good but I guess I just wonder why the freezer froze up so fast. I know it froze over bcuz there wasn't any air flow through any of the vents. It wasn't as bad this time though. So that's good.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well keep in touch if you still have issues, I'll be around and happy to keep going if need be. Smile thanks and have a great night, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sounds good I really apprieate it. I'll talk to you soon.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey 2nd night down having that thermostat and damper door in and I'm still too warm. Freezer is @ 22 degrees and Freezer is hardly getting cold. I can't feel hardly any air coming out from the damper door this morning. Any ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
does the fan seem to be running up to speed? the panel is on in the freezer correct? can yo remove it and take a look at the coils again and tell me if all the coils are frosted evenly or if only a few like th top section are frosted and the bottom of the coils not as much ? is the frost thicker at the top ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just noticed the Defroster kicked on for the first time this morning so I know the thermostat fixed that part of it. I could just bearly see the bottom of the element and it was glowing red, so I know that's a good thing, and the last time I had the back panel off the frost was thicker at the top than the bottom. when I go to lunch I'll update you on the temperatures.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay also make sure that the fan isn't running to slow. and check the frost , if its real thick at the top and barely on the bottom that could mean the fan isn't running up to speed. let me know.At least the defrost is working now so thats good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I came home for lunch and after defrost mode ran earlier this morning the Freezer is @ about 5 degrees and fridge about 40. So I'm pretty sure it should all be good for now. I'll let it run for a few days and let you know if anything changes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay thats great ! thanks and let me know if you need me. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so once again this morning I have 10 now in my freezer and it's hardly cooled down in my fridge. My compressor ran all day and night yesterday. Lastnight it got up to 18 in the freezer, but this morning it was down to 10. I'm gonna remove that back panel tonight and look at the forst pattern. Is there a possiblity that my compressor isn't working as hard as it should? I find it odd that it freezes over so fast but doesn't kick out the compressor at all. Is there any other sensors in the freezer or fridge that would be back that would cause the compressor to continue to run?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
theres a possibility the system is low on freon. if the top of the coils are frosted much more than the bottom thats an indicator thats the freon levels are low. let me know what they look like tonight. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i took a look at it lastnight and the frost levels on the evaporator look even. The fan for the evaporator core looks and sounds good. The temperatures aren't bad often times in the freezer looking at anywhere from -5 to 10 degrees depending on how often it's open. The Fridge temps look a little high though. Still in the 42 to 45 degree range, again depending on how much it's open but my compressor still doesn't shut off. What else can keep the compressor from running? Also the damper door control, does that auto adjust at all? I have a caliper with a depth gage on it and I measure it about everynight I go to bed and I'm not seeing a decrease or increase in the door. I give about a .05 tolarance for the spring giving and with that normally the measurment doesn't change. I figured it might if I put my hand on the coil going into the damper control. Just thought I'd ask. Other than that the fridge and freezer are close to working normal I apprieate you're help. It's WAY better than calling my landlord.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay there is a damper control.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this opens and closes to control the air flow into the refrigerator section , this could be the issue, if it is closing but the temp isn't correct in the refrigerator section the compressor will keep running, theres not much else beside the cold control which is the other thing that controls temp but if it wasn't working the refrigerator section would be freezing things not to warm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure if this isn't just some random occurance or not but lastnight I did the five times on the light switch for the fridge and a few minutes later the defroster was running and the compressor stopped. I could tell that the evaporator was froster over bcuz the temp in the fridge was getting a little high. So since it did the defrost this morning and afternoon temps back to normal. If the defost adapator was bad becuz it wasn't doing the defrost by itself, but when I do the five times for the light switch and it does go into defrost mode but not everytime could that defrost control module (adaptor) be bad? Sorrya bout my spelling.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
My guess is the defrost timer (adaptive defrost board) is the issue, it sounds like its not advancing into defrost. I would replace it. heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Control-Board/61005988/948430?modelNumber=JSD2588AEW maybe you can pick one up locally. thanks Bryan