Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

How to replace a timer for a Maytag dryer #7400AYW

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Hi, can you open the door and recheck the model ? its not comming up. theres a tag inside the door with the full model number.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MDE7400AYW
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
perfect. on the back of the timer in the center there is a plastic tab that goes up the center of the timer shaft. take a pair of pliers and pull it out just a bit to release the knob. as you can see on the new timer there is a split end where the know goes on . thats where the center key locks the knob on. let me know if you get it okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have rechecked 3 times and that is the # XXXXX the door. I have the new part that I ordered from Repair Clinic and it is the same as the bad part. The part# XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my reply ? on the back of the timer in the center there is a plastic tab that goes up the center of the timer shaft. take a pair of pliers and pull it out just a bit to release the knob. as you can see on the new timer there is a split end where the know goes on . thats where the center key locks the knob on. let me know if you get it okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had to crack open the old timer as the knob would not release and the tab is frozen in the pull knob. Any ideas on getting the shaft out of the pull knob?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh Wow, that could be tough. to be honest I've never had that happen and dont know how you can get that out. is there any of it sticking out you can get a hold of?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A little is sticking out , but I think I will order a new knob. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is this what your knob looks like ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is the knob.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. one the front of the knob the cap should pop off in the middle. it should reveal the slot in the top of the knob. can you see if it does?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay great ! you should be able to push the old piece out now ! can you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes , that is why you are the expert and I am the dumby!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh no your not, even I didn't think of that right away, there are so many different knobs and timers it hard to remember them all ! I did some checking and found it . Smile, you should be all set now I hope . thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I ask a question about my washer ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sure what do you need to know ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a Maytag #Mav9501EWW and it will only run in hot water when you have it set to warm/cold or any other setting. Then it starts and stops the flow of water but will not finish the cycle of wash, rinse, etc. Could this be the timer on the washing machine??
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
its the water inlet valve thats the issue. these machine rinse in cold water thats why it doesn't finish the cycle, try taking the hoses off and clean the screens in both the valve and the hoses. if it still doesn't work you need to replace the valve. heres a link to order it if you need it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/22004333/1057502?modelNumber=MAV9501EWW?RCAID=1000065 thanks and have a great night . the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,I replaced the timer for the dryer and it comes , but it does not go thru the cycle, it stays at the same position on the dial and contimues to run.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,I do not have a voltage meter. and I have replaced the timer twice, but will still not go thru the cycles, it continues to dry , but will not cut off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
does the timer advance ? move ?