Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE Profile (approx 9 yrs old) steadily losing cooling over

GE Profile (approx 9 yrs old) steadily losing cooling over last 2 days. Temps now up to 65 degrees in both freezer/refrigerator. Tried resetting temp starting last evening, momentarily defaults to 37 per direction manual, but then has continued to warm...

Anything to do other than service?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model number from the tag inside the refrigerator section on the side wall or the ceiling ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the cover over the compressor at the bottom and feel the compressor? is it cold warm or hot ? is it vibrating (running ) also do you hear any clicking in the back at all ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Compressor not running at the moment and feels just slighly warm (thru

the cover, which I did not remove). Grill a the base is cold.

Refrigerator did seem to be running off and on yesterday.

okay, unfortunately you have a common problem that occurs on these refrigerators. the main control board has failed. this board has been redesigned 4 times by G.E. because of this failure. this board is located on the back of the refrigerator just above the panel you removed and its behind an 8X10" cover. you need to order and replace this. I am including a link below to order this, they have the best warranty in the business.

control board link >>> . he only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, Bryan. With the age of our refrigerator, do you think witth the part and installation (we don't trust ourselves to handle it), will we be back in shape well enough to not need a new unit for some years?

yes these are good refrigerators but they had that board issue thats been haunting them, they finally got that straightened out. the good thing about these refrigerators is the compressors last forever. I would repair it. thanks, Bryan