Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a RB1855VQ refrigerator/freezer and the temperature

I have a RB1855VQ refrigerator/freezer and the temperature will not stay cold. I cleaned the back/coils and unplugged it for two hours. It was working for up to 6 hours, however overnight it gets warm and the temperature indicator is blinking. i tried holding in the two buttons (power freeze and power cool buttons)for 8 seconds to see what it may idicate as the problem. All I saw was zeros and then it returned to blinking. Any helpwould be appreciated!
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today
was there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food ? is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fan running and no frost..
If the fan is running and there no frost it means the compressor is not starting,. can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the bottom cover over the compressor and feel it. is it cold, warm or hot ? is it vibrating ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vibrating and warm..
okay its running then. this is the hard part. you need to remove the back panel inside the freezer section behind the food and check the frost pattern on the coils, can you do that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fan not running in back of freezer behind backing frost on coils...what do u want me to look at?
you have the panel off and the fans not running ? do you have a volt meter you can check power to it with ? is there frost on the coils?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Frost on coils fan runs when door shut no volt meter..sorry 3 kids keep me busy...
okay is there a lot of frost ? like clogged up or just a light frosting on the coils ? also are all the coils frosted evenly or just some ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Frost evenly distributed. Thinker than slightly frosted. Appears to be no clog.
okay, put the cover back in and let this run for a few hours then come back and tell me if its cooling. sometimes these need to recover before the light will stop blinking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yesterday, I unplugged it for 3 hrs then I plugged it in and it worked for about 8 hrs when I woke up it was blinking and not cooling..net wasn't sure if u knew that... I appreciate your help.
okay, Do you know if possibly the door was left open before this happened ? if so sometimes these will freezer up and then get warmer so when you unplugged it and then plugged it back in you may have defrosted it a bit so it ran correctly for 8 hours. but if this is freezing up you may have a defrost issue or a bad board. its hard to say until you let it run some more and see what it does.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks I will watch. When i came home Sunday, my husband left door open about 8 hours, that is when i started with the problems..
ah that sounds like the cause, these can take up to 24 hours to stabilize again so let it go with the doors shut and see what it does.thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if temperature warms up again still let it run for 24 hours?
well if the temp goes way up again you have a main control board issue. if thats the case you would need to replace it before this will run correctly. hopefully it stabilizes and your all set though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank u !!
your very welcome, have a great day !