Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an older Maytag LAT 9605AAE. It has worked trouble free

Customer Question

I have an older Maytag LAT 9605AAE. It has worked trouble free for almost 20 years ( 1995 - present ). About a year ago it began a to operate more and more out of balance during the spin cycles - I recently looked into obtaining a repair manual which sadly, is no longer available. I re-leveled the unit and now it is so out of balance I will not operate it. Parts are still available to repair it but without the manaual references I am reluctant to trust repairs made by myself or a repairman. I can obtain spanner and gear wrenches ( OEM ) to disassemble and it appears that parts are still available. Would you recommend rebuilding this machine? I suspect based on its performance after leveling that bearings and seals will need to be replaced - no leaks at present. Thanks, WB
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Give me a few minutes to look up the info on your machine. i will be back soon, thanks , Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, the parts are still available for this machine. how easy does the tub move back and forth if you reach in and move it by hand ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Reaching in from the top I can't turn the tub easily unless I fill the machine and let it work normally.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well what I meant was does the whole tub assembly move back and forth not the inner tub moving like trying to make it spin just the whole tub. does it move around a lot easy ? I think your snubber's are worn. these keep the tub from going all over the place it spin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a set of the felt on hand but can't see clearly where they should be located ( disassembly is certainly required ) I also got some of the adhesive - they appear to be wear pads and are lubricated with silicone after installation once the adhesive dries ( they aren't even 1/4" in depth ), have you had direct experience with the replacement of these pads eliminating a spin / balance problem. The tub is fairly tight and shows no sign of sloppy movement up/down or side - side
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the tub shows no sign of loose movement ? yes I have had this problem with these machines but if the tub doesn't move easily then I don't believe thats your issue. is the drum itself loose ? does it seem like the bearing is bad ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what is puzzling - everything works great until the rinse / spin cycles when the unit heads to out of balance - even when it's empty - although it is worse when a load is present, I tested it last night after re-leveling. I am reluctant to take it apart until I understand the failure. The unit spins, brakes and stops as it should, it is a two belt unit ( tub and pump ) both belts are a little slack but they work, no adjustments have been made and the unit appears to be centered, with no signs of leaks I am reluctant to believe that it is a bearing either but this could be the early signs of that wear. Without an internal of the transmission unit it is difficult to tell if something might have failed internally - permitting operation while agitating back / forth but going eccentric during spin. I am hoping to id the problem without changing parts until it's fixed or I give up and buy a new one.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay I understand, the belts wouldn't cause this. the only other thing that will is the balance ring. this is snapped onto the top of the tub. usually these are not an issue however I have seen it a few times. the balance ring is part # XXXXX on this diagram.thats all thats left as long as the snubber's are good and the spring are on then thats it. you can order a new one at the link below.

balance ring-----> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Balance-Ring/22001142/453937?RCAID=1000065 hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
are you still there ? did you get my last reply ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan - I have tried to select the good service rating twice - I responded with e-mails to these knuckleheads but got responses that made it seem like I was writing to a broken robot. I hope that this gets through to you so that you can get paid - curiously their links to subscription or additional payment are active - the ratings links are not. I don't know what the problem is but my time is worth money too - I've done all that I am willing to do to correct their system problem --
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thank you so much,I know the site has had problems, my payment went through, have a great week, thanks again , Bryan