Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The fan on my fridgerator stopped working. I replaced fan and

The fan on my fridgerator stopped working. I replaced fan and controller so far.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model # ? thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KSSC36QMS01

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is this the board you replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES IT IS.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you have a multimeter ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES I DO
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay unplug the fan and test for 12 volts DC. hold the freezer light switch in when testing that. let me know if your getting 12v DC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I'm not.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright. On the top of the evaporator coils you will see this.its the defrost thermostat, can you disconnect it and while its still cold and still on the coils test it for continuity. does it have continuity ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan, can we continue this session at a later time? I have to leave for work. Or could you send me a list of items to check?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes we can continue later. its hard to give you a list however, we need to eliminate one thing at a time. I will be on later though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a case number XXXXX can refer to? I'm not sure if I can get back to you till tomorrow (if your'e working).

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
just sign back in and your question will come back up.Smile talk later, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm back.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello again ! Smile are you ready to go ? work on this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Refering to your last response I can not find the defrost theromsat.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay, is there a lot of frost on the coils ? on the top ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none. you are talking on the top of the fridge.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
inside the freezer on the evaporator coils. do you have the back panel off inside the freezer behind where your food is ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
working on taking the cover off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found it. there was a very small amount of ice on the coils. the fan is working above the evaporator. I did find defrost thermostat.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay can you check the thermostat while its still cold? check it for continuity ? unplug the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
circuit is open. it was out of the fridge for 15 minutes before I tested it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
it was out of the fridge? you really need it cold for it to test closed. are the coils still cold in the freezer ? can you put it back on the coils and leave it for about 1/2 hour and then test it again ? or if you can take the two wire that came from the thermostat and tape then together (bypassing it basically) and see if the fan runs then ? unplug the refrigerator while you tape them off. just connect them together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are togeather and I pluged them back in the fridge is on. how long before the fan comes on?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you plugged the heater assembly back in with that bypassed and the fan still doesn't come on ? can you test and see if your getting 120 volts to the fan ? also try pushing the light button in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i am.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay if your getting 120 volts the fan should be running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

After I 120 at the plug it seemed odd the fan would not come on. I went and got my old fan and pluged it in and it works!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well the new fan is obviously bad. the thermostat you bypassed is the most likely cause of your trouble, replace the thermostat and leave the old fan in would be my suggestion. glad to see its working at least. hope i helped. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.