Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Bosch Dishwasher Model SHE4AM16AC/01. Dishwasher will not

Customer Question

Bosch Dishwasher Model SHE4AM16AC/01.
Dishwasher will not fill with water. Will initially drain and go through cycles then stop. Three (3) Sears technicians replaced both circuit boards but could not diagnosis the problem even after consulting with Bosch technicians.
Can anyone suggest a solution? The dishwasher is 4 years old.
Thanks. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
The fact that the cycle starts with a drain leads me to believe that the float may be up. Under the dishwasher, there is a float stem which is usually blue in color. This stem leads into a sump which has a foam float. It is a tight squeeze especially if you have larger hands. Try to find a way to move that stem up and down. Remove the power at the breaker first. As you're moving the float stem up and down slowly, listen for a very faint audible click. That's the float switch. Also, see if there is any water in that sump. Do you have a disposer that you ran shrimp peels, potato peels, are anything similar in recently? That kind of stuff can block the drain port and cause water to back up into that sump. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. No food debris. Dishes are always pre-rinsed.

2. The clicks are audible when slowly moving the gray float switch up and down. The switch is settled in the down position.

3. There is no water standing in the bottom of the dishwasher.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
If the switch is in the down position, you'll need to check your water valve for 120 volts across the terminals during the first several minutes of the cycle. If you have 120 volts, the valve is either bad or perhaps the filter screen at the water valve inlet is clogged with debris, especially on wells, or if the dip tube of the house hold water heater is starting to degrade. You can pull the water line off to look for debris in it, or test for 120 volts as I suggested. I'll need to know if the voltage is there or not prior to proceeding any further.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Henry,

I'll be calling it a night tonight. I do have a few service calls to run tomorrow. Please respond with your findings and I'll be back with you as soon as I can. Signing off.

Justin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Justin,

I've decided to replace the water inlet valve. Could you provide me the part number. I could not find it on the internet. Thanks.

Henry

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
607335 Sears has it online. Good luck.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Justin: I replaced the water control valve and the dishwasher is working. The fiber gasket in the old valve had deteriotated and broke apart blocking the strainer. Thanks again for your help. Henry
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Good to hear Sir. I'm happy your problem is solved.