Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My dryer started to make a very loud screeching noise. Whats

My dryer started to make a very loud screeching noise. What's the problem?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way somewhere.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK perfect, thank you. So it's hard to speculate as to what might be making the noise, you actually need to take the dryer completely apart and remove the drum to spin the different parts to determine which one is failing and needs to be replaced. To do this, pull the dryer forward and unplug the dryer. Remove the 2 or 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Now remove the screws coming into the control panel from inside the dryer. The control panel will then fold forward and down and pull off. Now tip the dryer back a bit so you can see the 2 or 3 screws coming in from the bottom of the lower front panel. Remove these screws and remove the lower front panel. Remove the screws going into the bottom of the upper front panel as well as the screws along the top. The top panel will remove. Now reach under the drum, disconnect the belt and pull the drum out.

I know that's a lot of work, but it what I'd need to do if I were at your house repairing this dryer. Now you can spin the drum support rollers, the motor itself, and the idler tension pulley to see which one is slightly noise. You'll need to order and replace the noisy part, don't just try to oil it because it will only last a day or two.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it o.k. to continue using the dryer with that noise or do I really have to do all that before? (I will probably call someone to do it, but in the meantime?)
That's hard to say, but to be safe I'd say no it's not. If you try to continue to use it (and since we don't know what part has failed or how far along the failure is) it's possible that a drum roller might be adding some additional friction which could either break the belt or cause the motor to seize up from straining too hard.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you refer someone to repair? I live in Dorval, Quebec,Canada.
Thank you.
I'm out of the US so I really can't see up in Canada, but I do know that Sears will come out and repair your appliance if there is one around you. They are definitely not the cheapest repair company however.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you and have a nice day!
no problem and I'm sorry about the bad news but if you need anything else then please just let me know.