Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Trying to diagnose and estimate cost on repairing a friends

Trying to diagnose and estimate cost on repairing a friend's clothes washer issue. Maytag model-lat9356aae Unit does not spin, does everything else. Belts are on, but during spin, the belt is trying to pull on large diameter pulley that is directly under the agitator. The pulley or assembly does not want to move causing the belts to start burning. You can move the pulley manually one way but not in the direction the motor wants to pull for spin.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the belts off when trying to turn the transmission pulley ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, If this is frozen and you cant turn the drum with the pulley it means the tub spin bearing has failed. this is a pretty big job to replace unfortunately. the inner and out tub has to come out to replace this, also there are special tools required , (spanner wrench) the bearing kit is $44.00 and the spanner is $24.00, it takes about 3 hours to do. it does come with instruction however its a bis job. heres a link to the parts for that. hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

If my friend would like to call an appliance tech out to fix it, what would you estimate that it would cost? Thanks! and good work!

Usually that job with parts and labor runs around $125.00, techs have the tool so you wont be paying for that just the parts and labor, these are great machines and is worth fixing. hope that helps. thanks Bryan