Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

I have a Whirlpool fridge with bottom drawer freezer. I do

I have a Whirlpool fridge with bottom drawer freezer. I do not have water dispensor and although equiped with ice dispensor, it is not connected. I am getting a 1/8th inch layer of ice on the floor of the freezer and have had water on the kitchen floor. Help, please.

This is a known issue. The problem is that the defrost cycle melts the frost off the evaporator in the freezer. This water drips into the defrost trough and is SUPPOSED to go down into a pan under your refrigerator. There is a rubber grommet on the end of the drain tube which is clogged shut (usually due to a little dust). Remove the rear panel behind the refrigerator, usually 6 to 8 screws. Make sure you unplug unit first. Find the tube coming into that compartment and remove the duck bill grommet. Next, you'll want to trim just a little tiny bit off to open up the slit. Use a sharp pair of scissors. Just the tiniest amount. Wash off any dust or debris. See, the water can't get through after defrost. The best recommendation I have for a consumer is to turn the unit off for 24 hours so all the ice that is blocking the drain hole can melt. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to describe the removal of the drawer, tracks, and panel. The problem is all caused by that little grommet though. A little heat from a hair dryer should expedite the process of melting all the ice out of the defrost drain trough behind the freezer panel. It takes me 1.5 hours to tear this thing down and clear it out and I've been doing this 15 years. I think the best option for you, so you don't pull your hair out is to just unplug for 24 hours. I hope you have another fridge so this is an option.