John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator is having problems. The freezer

My Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator is having problems. The freezer part works great but the refrigerator gets warm. I unplug the unit and remove the back panel of the freezer and
defrost the ice build up. I've had to do this twice now in the last 60 days. I just did it 5 days ago and its working fine but I have been researching this problem and have been told it could be the defrost heater, defrost thermostat or control board. Can you help me determine the problem and help me with the repair and help me order the right parts and how to check what part(s) could be bad?

Hi Im John I will help you with the fridge problem.

Do you have a volt ohm meter to check a few parts ?

Send me the model number please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have a volt meter. Model # XXXXX

Tis is the defrost thermostat is clamped to the top of the freezer coils , you can check this to see if the contacts are opened or closed if their open replace the defrost thermostat , if its closed check the defrost heater at the bottom of the freezer coils they should give you reading, If no reading replace the defrost heater, let me know what you find please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I check it with the volt meter?

You have to disconnect the two wires on the defrost thermostat , bare the wire ends and use the meter on the resistance setting if no reading replace the defrost thermostat.

let me know how you make out please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I'm not going to be able to do this. Thanks for your help, I'm going to have to call in a repair service. Thanks again!
Ok thanks good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its not that the service was poor, its just above my head and I do not want to make it worse. I do not have another refrigerator and this one is working. I just need to get someone in here to fix it. I was hoping I could do it myself and save some money but I can't. No reflection on you.

You gave me a poor rating and your the one that cant do the repairs , I really don't think I deserve the poor rating.

All you ave to do is watch the video its shows you how to replace the defrost thermostat.

I can help you replace the part.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I apologize. I will change the rating so you get paid. Can I get back with you again to get your help fixing this? I just had a family situation take place and I can't fix this now.

Sure no problem, I will help you with the problem when your ready just let me know .

Please correct the rating its important.

Thanks and God bless.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You mentioned a video? Where do I go to watch this when I have time?
let me know when your ready to continue please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will, thank you very much!! Its working fine now, but I'm going to order the parts I need in the next day or two. Thanks again! Take care.
Great , glad I could help out.