Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a french door GE refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker

We have a french door GE refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker and water dispenser inside the fridge. All of a sudden it has begun to leak water from underneath the refrigerator. We have not moved it out from the wall yet to see if the water hose is damaged in any way. The model # XXXXX XXXXX serial #GL065200 and it was purchased in July, 2006.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is the water comming out the front ? is it a lot of water? steady ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It isn't POURING out. Overnight it made a rather large puddle on the floor which resulted in a couple of inches of water in the bucket when I mopped it up.
okay open the freezer and look at the bottom, is there a sheet of ice in the bottom of the freezer ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. The inside of the freezer is dry as it always is, except for a couple of ice cubes which spilled out from the ice container.
okay, you need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and take a look at the water lines and remove the back cover over the compressor. you need to see if the water inlet valve is leaking. let me know when you get to that point .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That will have to be done a little later. I can't do it right now. I wanted to shut the valve off to the water supply in the basement last night but after 6 years it has oxidized and the valve wouldn't turn and I didn't want to break it.
OH , yeah don't break the shut off. I will be here later when you get back, just let me know by replying then,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay! It's a bit of a job to move that fridge, even if it is on wheels. Thanks.
okay talk later, no need to reply until you get it pulled out Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay! It took us until today to pull the fridge out from the hole in the wall! (We are in our early 70's and my husband is pretty disabled). The problem was a pinhole in the plastic tubing going to the water dispenser/ice machine. We fixed it with a compression fitting and are giving it a little time for any other leaks to show up before we push it back.
thats exactly what I was going to have you look for ! these lines tend to dry out even though theres water in it . A little tip, if it looks like its getting brittle you may want to just go ahead and replace it. this is just 1/4" plastic tube and they sell it real cheap at Lowe's, its fairly easy to replace. just wanted to give you a heads up on that before you push this back in. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You were great! I guess we should have pulled the fridge out before contacting you. it was kind of stupid on our part! Anyway, thanks a bunch and this is a real nice website that I did not know existed until I went onto the GE website. It is very helpful!!!! All my kitchen appliances are GE except for my dishwasher which is Whirlpool but it also about 6 years old (everything new when we did a kitchen remodel) and probably will only last another couple of years or so. Thank you again, and you should get paid for your assistance.
thank you and have a great day

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already did that. Gave you "excellent service! Have a great day!!!!