Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have an Amana refrigerator, Model BRF20. For some time,

We have an Amana refrigerator, Model BRF20. For some time, food has frozen in the left side food drawer. Occasionally, some items setting on top of the drawer and against the back wall would also freeze. A few weeks ago, we noticed that ice cream wasn't staying totally frozen. Other items in the freezer section were staying frozen. About a week ago, the freezer section quit freezing but the refrigerator was cooling. Two days ago, the refrigerator quit cooling also. There is power. Air is circulating in both sections, just not cooling. Inside the unit, it won't get below 60-70 degrees. I vacuumed the bottom (not really much dust there). Please help! Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the freezer door and look behind the food at the back wall, is there frost on it ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No frost
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and tell me if you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor ? also remove the cover and feel the compressor , is it cold,warm or hot ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hear no clicking or buzzing. The compressor feels a little. Sorry, I have dial-up! It has been slooow.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats okay, so you say the compressor feels a little what ? warm ? is it vibrating ? like its running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. just like it is running
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay the only way to see whats going on is to open the freezer and empty it, then remove the panel inside at the very back of the freezer and take a look at the coils for the frost pattern. do you think you can do that ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, the back is off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay what do the coils look like ? are they evenly frosted on all of them ? are only a few frosted ? or is there no frost ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is there is evenly frosted, but not much there yet
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let this run a little while with the door shut, about 1 hour and get back to me and tell me how it looks, can you do that ? it should have a solid frosting on all the coils by then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, no need to reply until then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm back. There is very little frost, only on the tube going into the coils and a little about 2 inches from where the tube goes in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay thats not good.is the compressor still running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is, but doesn't feel warm to the touch.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well I have to give you the bad news sooner or later.this is a sealed system issue, either the compressor is going or the freon is leaking, the frost pattern tells me that. unfortunately this could be an expensive repair. if the compressor is failing thats about 700-900 dollars to replace, if its the freon its most likely leaking in the evaporator , the leak would need to be located and fixed, if the evaporator is leaking that would have to be replaced because the evaporator is to thin to solder it melts. anyway that would run around $400.00 with the freon recharge. I'm sorry to give you bad news, this will need to be fixed by a licensed HVAC tech. I hope at least you understand and you may want to consider at this point replacing the refrigerator. thats up to you, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Obviously I'm not really pleased with having to replace the fridge, I appreciate your assistance. I have another question though. Is the sealed system issue the same as what was causing the food to freeze in the food drawer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes because the refrigerator was running to long (when it was cooling) and that causes things to freeze because of the air flow in that area, the refrigerator never stabilized.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.