Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Im getting a moldy taste from my water and ice coming from

Im getting a moldy taste from my water and ice coming from my fridge....I replaced the filter and it took a couple days but the funky taste is back....while i was waiting for the new cartridge to arrive in the mail i ran the fridge with no filter and had no issues with the taste...

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GS6SHAXLS03
Okay perfect, Your issue is the Water Tank Assembly, the stagnant water thats in this chiller is whats causing your issue. when you had the filter out and were running the water and didn't taste it , its because more water pressure and the water didn't sit and stagnate , this is a common problem on these. this is located behind your crisper drawer, you need to replace the chiller. heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Tank-Assembly/2256126/1016542?modelNumber=GS6SHAXLS03?RCAID=1000065 this will get rid of the foul taste. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'm guessing that once the stagnant taste has gotten in there it is there to stay??" We were gone on vacation for two weeks and came back to this, so it makes sense that this happened....my only wonder is why it didnt happen in years past since we go on two week vacations every year.....any suggestions for preventing this in the future??....shut off the water supply and drain the supply lines?? Thanks....your service has been outstanding!!

Sorry I was off line. well its because you were gone and then changed the filter so when you flushed it the stuff comes off the inside of the tubbing , P.S. all that tubing is 1/4" which they sell at lowes a lot cheaper but you would need to also get the connectors, lowes sells those also. just ask for 1/4" quick connects. yes if you shut of the water and drain the tubes it will help when you go away. thanks Bryan