Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE QUiet Power1 dishwasher. The last load did something

I have a GE QUiet Power1 dishwasher. The last load did something it's never done. The dishes are a mess with a baked on film, the glasses and silverwear are etched (ruined) with a similiar film/tarnish. I have checked the water temp (140 degrees); I have checked the air pocket device on the top of the counter; I have put in the correct amount of cleaning detergent; I have checked the water flow and it seems normal. What in the world is wrong? Is there any way to repair my nice stainless silverwear, nice crystal glasses and english pottery dishes. They have always fared well in this device and all other dishwashers of my past. The dishwasher is 5 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model number ? when you start this and let it fill can you open the door and check the water level? how much in inches? does it cover the heater ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model? PP-T30; 165D5948

I'm starting the new cycle...more in a minute when it fills

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, that model number isn't comming up can you look inside on the side wall for a tag?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the water is maybe 1/2"..not sure what or where the heater is located

model 4260M15SS

Serial Sl771785B

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I can say with certainty what happened. your water level is way low. this should have around 2 inches of water. the heater is the part around the inside of the dish washer that looks like this .the reason your dishes got etched is because your water level is to low and when that happens the pump picks up any granules on the bottom of the ppm assembly and spray that around , when you have the correct water level it doesn't do that and usually drains the particles out. I'm still not able to pull up a model with the numbers your giving me, you need to replace your water inlet valve, its not opening fully.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last question...thank you so much...i will do the rating next....now I can pursue here locally.....do you know any ways to correct the etching problem (home spun or professionally) so all these dishes, silverware, glasses aren't ruined forever.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats the tough question. are they actually etched ? or is it more a film ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've scrubbed the glasses, silverware bunches (with soap and baking soda) and not seeing any relief?

I haven't tried vinegar yet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The expert did a wonderful job walking me through and identifying the problem. I am 100% satisfied with his help. 5 star, 5 smiley face.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I lost my internet for a bit,you can try white vinegar or CRL and see if it takes the film off. I'll be on tomorrow if you need me thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.