Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

plate above top light bulb is hot to touch and the temp in

Customer Question

plate above top light bulb is hot to touch and the temp in fridge side is now 58 degrees - bulb goes out when replaced as well - what's happening
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the model number so we can better assist you ? are you saying the bulb burns out when you replace it ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes on the bulb burning out - i replaced it a couple of hours ago - model number is XXXXX SS
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, open the door and push the light switch button in. does the light go off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes -
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright, how long does it take for the bulb to burn out ? also can you open the freezer and look on the back wall behind the food is there any frost on the panel ? any at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no frost in the freezer - I replaced the bulb at about noon - went and opened the fridge couple hours later and the bulb was not working - hit the temp indicator on the front and it indicated the fridge side was at 56 degrees - about 20 warmer than the set temp of 36 - the second replaced bulb - i put in about 10 minutes ago is still working
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
do you hear any clicking comming from the back of the refrigerator ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - no clicking noise - the fridge is running thought - the freezer side seems fine - in fact running a little cold - fridge side is now 60 degrees
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
on this diagram your talking about the bulb number 437 correct ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes - that is correct - the bulb in there now is still working - but the fridge temp is climbing
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright well I'm not sure why the bulb is blowing out unless the last one you put in was ready to go. I'm more concerned about the temp rising.can you feel any air comming through the vent in the back of the refrigerator? is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes - i can feel air through the back vent and the freezer is running
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay one thing I would like you to do, can you remove the bulb you put in and close the door for around 1 hour and see if the temp comes down ? I would like to see if possibly the board is turning the light on when this is running. with the bulb out actually take all of them out we can see weather its a board issue.if the temp comes down its probably the board turning the lights on and off (flickering) when the door is shut.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay - I've taken the bulb out - the metal panel above the bulb, which was hot to the touch earlier is now cool and the indicator on the door shows the temp is down one degree - now 59 instead of 60 - what now do I text you the temp in an hour?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes if you could, I'd like to see if the relay on the main control board is tripping the bulb to come on. I'll watch for your reply, leave the refrigerator door shut the whole time please.talk later. Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan - the fridge is cooling now - temp now at 46 - should i reinstall the bulb?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes I would reinstall it.then let it run over night and see what it looks like tomorrow.Hopefully it will be fine, the other bulb may have been shorting. keep me informed, thanks and best wishes,the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Bryan the fridge is working fine now - don't really know what happened to cause the problem or what we did to resolve - but my milk and beer is cold and that's what is important! Thank you again for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats great to hear, Ill be here if you need me , thanks Bryan