Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Leaking Maytag Neptune MAH6500AWW purchased May 2004. I tried

Leaking Maytag Neptune MAH6500AWW purchased May 2004. I tried to wash a feather pillow. Apparently, the pillow broke open during the wash cycle. With about 16 minutes left in wash cycle, water coming out of the front of the washer reached the room I was in. I went to look at the washer, water was leaking out of the bottom edge of the door. I pushed on the door, it popped open and a flood of water and feathers poured onto the floor. The water was then level with the rubber boot on the washer door opening. What is the normal water level? Did the feathers disable/clog the water level switch? How do I fix it? What else could be clogged or damaged? Also, there is a small (about 1/8 inch dia) hole on the seal at 6 o’clock between the door and the drum, is that an intentional drain hole? If I need a new front load washer, do you have a recommendation? What about top loads?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

okay if the water was above the bottom of the door then it overfilled. the reason it overfilled is because the pillow when it came apart clogged the water level pressure hose. give me a few minutes to look up the diagrams on this. I'll be back in a bit, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. What is a "normal" water level?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
these machines don't fill more than up to the bottom of the door or just below it. this is the pressure switch. I'm looking up the diagrams now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you have tools to take the front panel off of this? a Phillips head screw driver and a flat head ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes. have tools. please describe procedure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay Great ! open the door and there are screws on each side, the ones that hold the door hinges and the ones across from them on the other side. remove them and then pull the front U shaped panel out at the top, # XXXXX on this diagram.thats the front panel once you have that off there will be the part I showed you above(the water level control) it has a rubber hose connected to it, pull it off and blow through the tube and see if its clogged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

unplugged the washer, removed front panel and found level control switch. removed, cleaned and reinstsalled parts. will test and see if it leaks. is hole at 6 oclock in front gasket ok? is it a drain hole?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes that is a drain to let any access water drain back into the tub. you can see it in this diagram.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All is well!!! Thank you for your assistance. SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome Smile have a great day. sorry my internet went down , just got it back,the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.