Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

MY whirlpool convection oven/microwave wont get hot. The

MY whirlpool convection oven/microwave won't get hot. The control panel works, the fan works the microwave works - everything works except it won't get hot. This happened right after we ran the self cleaning feature which worked. The broiler won't work. It is model # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

So the microwave will heat but the convection part will not?

Repairman1981 :
Customer:

did you get my response? The conversation string isn't posting on my side.

Repairman1981 :

nope, I haven't yet, can you repost it?

Customer:

yes is the answer to your question

Repairman1981 :

ok...so the answer is?????

Customer:

microwave works

Repairman1981 :
Repairman1981 :

yes?

Repairman1981 :

ok lemme pull a diagram for you. The convection cycle will count down fine correct

Repairman1981 :
Customer:

what is a convection cycle? The fan does turn on when I want convection baking

Repairman1981 :

this is an oven microwave combo, not a convection microwave correct?

Repairman1981 :

Meaning the microwave is actually seperat from the convection oven?

Repairman1981 :

Does the bake or broil or anything work?

Customer:

it is a convection microwave/regular microwave on top and a convection oven/regular oven/broiler below. nothing will bake or broil

Customer:

its the bottom oven that won't heat

Customer:

but it all works electrically

Repairman1981 :

did it finish the self clean and unlock properly?

Customer:

yes

Repairman1981 :

The only common link between all those items is the board or the thermal fuse, thermal fuses do blow a LOT after self cleaning, so I would say if you hear a click after pressing bake .... would replace the thrmal fuse. The only bad news, it's on the back of the unit so you have to pull the oven and microwave together to take the case off and get to it.

Repairman1981 :
Customer:

wow

Customer:

that isn't easy for a novice is it?

Repairman1981 :

if you have someone to help you it's only a few screws and 2 wiring connectors

Repairman1981 :

but pulling the oven is a bear it probably weighs 150-220 and that is a lot to lower down to the ground for most people

Customer:

Just tried turning it on and I didn't hear any click when I pressed bake

Repairman1981 :

If you have no click the board is the issue, the click is the relay

Customer:

that probably doesn't mean anything

Repairman1981 :

Sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds for the click

Repairman1981 :

but it should click even if it doesn't heat

Customer:

I heard a click a couple seconds after I turned it on.

Customer:

I've heard it when it was working.

Repairman1981 :

ok ... thn the high limit is the issue. The thing is there is a seperat relay for bake broil and convection. Yet the high limit goes to all 3 .... what do you think is the chance 3 relays broke, or the high limit that goes to all 3 blew.... :)

Customer:

You would know better than me. sounds remote

Repairman1981 : (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number

Repairman1981 :

You can order from Marcone by calling at 1-888-464-2853 or through Repairclinic.com whichever is easier for you. Both appear to
have it in stock.

Repairman1981 :

Never seen a board fail in that way .that is why I ask if broil or convection work ... if you have one heating the board is the issue, if none heat the thermostat is the issue

Customer:

Is that in the back also

Repairman1981 :

Don't self clean ever again after you replace this you have an insulation issue that caused the thermostat to fail

Repairman1981 :

Just replacing the thermostat won't fix this issue

Repairman1981 :

just don't self clean .... shouldn't be an issue

Customer:

OK

Customer:

What's wrong with the insulation

Repairman1981 :

well it could be a steel issue, or a acutal insulation problem (seperation) but since the thermostat is around 60 bucks, I wouldn't even consider trial and error to fix it so you can self clean it. If this were under warranty we would rplace the oven cavity to allow self cleaning

Customer:

It's worked in the past

Customer:

I'll take your advice.

Repairman1981 :

Lemme know if you need anything else, just buy the thermostat, pull it out, take the back of the oven off, you can't miss the part

Repairman1981 :

Dead centr of the back unit

Customer:

OK

Customer:

will I get an email of this conversation

Repairman1981 :

yep

Repairman1981 :

and you can come back here for free, no problems later on if you have an issue

Customer:

Thanks - and someone has to fix this chat feature. Poor connectivity and I have full strength

Customer:
Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands