Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Model (P) MBF1956KEQ top refrigerator bottom freezer Problem:

Model (P) MBF1956KEQ top refrigerator bottom freezer
Problem: Started a month and a half ago. Without adjusting temp controls we began to see frost/ice forming on the lip of the top of the freezer door, visible immediately when opening freezer. Over several weeks freezer got colder (seen in ice cream getting harder and harder) and refrig got warmer slowly until no cooling at all. I sounded as if it were running all the time.

Our Attempt: Pulled away from wall, cleaned thoroughly coils on bottom, etc. Inside: emptied everything from both compartments. It became clear that the vents on the top back of the freezer compartment inside through which one can see fins had frozen up. As we worked to clean we used a hair blow dryer for heat. It took something like 40 minutes to melt the frozen up interior fins. We could feel the cold spots on the back sides of the freezer compartment as we worked on this. Water slowly accumulated in the plastic tray at the bottom back as a result of the melting. We continued until no more water appeared, let sit for half hour to be sure. (It appeared that the frozen fins had ecluded the airflow to the refrigerator--our assumption) Reloaded both compartments, sure there was sufficient space from wall when put back in place and it auto reset to "4" on the scale 7 for warmer to colder for both compartments. We reset the freezer to "3" a little warmer. After about a week, ice cream started to get harder again. We can see ice forming on the fins inside the freezer again. The unit is running more again.

Answer? Solution?

Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

the frost on the freezer opening is an indication there is a door seal leak. check your seals real good make sure the seal all the way around is tight when the drawer is shutting tightly and theres no air leaks drawing in the moist air from the house, take a piece of paper and slide it around the seal when the drawer is shut. is there any loose spots ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have carefully slid paper around all sides of seal. Nothing seems to be loose
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
The frost you see is it along the top of the freezer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is a "lip" that extends horizontally on the top of the freezer door that slides under the top of the freezer compartment opening when the door is closed. Frost is on the lip.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Second attempt to answer: There is a lit that extends from the top of the freezer door horizontally into the freezer compartment top when the door is closed. Frost is on the lip.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, the only way you would get frost along that is there is moisture being drawn in at the point. as it sucks in the moist air it freezer along the top lip of the freezer in the form of frost. try this. take a hair dryer and warm the gasket up all the way around while working the gasket out at the top. this may be slightly compressed and is not always sealing tight. clear all the frost and when your done close the freezer and wait to see if the frost goes away. let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. Bob
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay Bob. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
The motor and fan on the refrig ran continuously and continues to do so. After about 9 hours we opened the freezer and found a slight layer of frost on the lip (which I can see now partly functions to turn off the light switch in the freezer when the door is shut). When I opened the freezer there was the resistance to the tug that I believe indicates a little vacuum, similar to the one we get on the refrigerator door piece. We looked very carefully again at the freezer gasket. The top of the gasket is well exposed for visual inspection when the refrig door above it is open. The gasket really looks tight. The other thing is that the fins we can see through the slits in the back of the freezer compartment are iced over quite a bit, perhaps past a "tipping point" of some kind that impedes circulation of air??

What is involved in changing a gasket set on a bottom drawer freezer door? Is this something I can do myself? What kind of attachment mechanism or mastic is involved? Do the gaskets have a magnetic component to them that attracts them toward the metal against which they close?

Anything else that might be causing the problems?

Bob
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Bob, okay it sounds like your having a defrost issue which would account for both the fan running all the time and the fresh food section not colling correct(because of airflow like you said) what you need to do is shut the unit off and remove the back panel inside the freezer behind the food (where you see the frost on the coils) don't worry about the gasket for now. once you have the panel off inside take a hair dryer and defrost all the coils until they are clear. the most likely cause for the defrost issue is this. its the defrost thermostat. its clipped top the top of the coils, here a link to a video on how to test it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/67003426/1033990?modelNumber=MBF1956KEQ let me know after you test it. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
My credit card co. called us about the payment to JustAnswer as part of a fraud check. We told them no problem, but it appears it triggered something that sent us a refund. I had to reinstate the payment--done--but part of the delay in me getting back. I need to borrow a multimeter from a friend and will to the therostat test.

In the mean time I have some more data and a new possible explanation for some of the trouble. When we opened the freezer last night after 9 hours my wife noted that the switch that turns on the light in the freezer compartment seem to be frozen in place. The "lip" I described before functions to turn off the light when the freezer door is closed. When weeks ago we emptied the freezer, not only were the coils frozen but there was a lot of ice in the clear plastic guard below the light bulb on the top of the freezer compartment. I have noticed that the bulb is also very hot.

When we got up this morning the appliance was not running and did not run for several hours before we went to church. We did not open the freezer but did use the refrig part. I thought I at one point heard a "clunk" that might be ice dropping in a defrosting cycle. I took off the panel on the outside back bottom of the unit that covers the fan and defrost tray and the compressor reservoir. There was water in the pan. I sponged it up and put it in a measuring cup: 2 and a half cups.

If the light had not been turning off I was sure it did on this trial started last evening. I can easily remove the light bulb if there is any possibility that that could be the problem: on constantly would emit heat that the unit would try to overcome by cooling and the tug of war goes on and on....?

Or might a faulty light combine with a thermostat that is on the blink?

When we opened the freezer for the first time this evening after having it closed since last evening, ice cream was the consistency it should have been and the visible frost on the fins visible on the coils in the back through the observation holes was drastically reduced. So something did happen to make it operate as it should have after closing it up last evening--which included "massaging" the gasket across its top, and checking that the light was going off in the freezer when the door closed.

Sorry for the delay. Your suggestion of the thermostat possible malfunction is important. I will test that. I'd like to know what you think about the light on constantly hypothesis as a possible source of trouble, constant running and freezing up. Don't understand why it would be on, but it is easy to unscrew the bulb and test that once I have tested the thermostat.

I'll get back to you when I have completed the thermo test.

Thanks,

Bob
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the thermostat could cause the light switch to freeze if the compressor is running a lot and freezing up the freezer but I'm not sure,i think what you need to do is test the thermostat and defrost the freezer completely and start over to see what it does, its hard to say .let me know what it looks like behind the panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

IT took time. The thermostat tested bad using the video basis. I have ordered a replacement part which is now described as "bimetal defrost" replacement. I trust this is what you are calling a thermostat. The original description was "thermostat, defrost."

When I get an affirmative reply I'll close out this session. Thank you.

Bob
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats it ! good job ! thats whats causing the frosting issue. replace it and your all set. sorry it was such a pain, We like to be sure before telling someone to replace a part. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.