Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Neptune washer M/N MAH4000AWW. It stops in the middle

I have a Neptune washer M/N MAH4000AWW. It stops in the middle of filling and will not continue to tumble or spin. When I start the machine, the "On" light illuminates, but the "door lock" light does not come on. If the machine reaches a spin cycle. the the door lock light will come on. When the start button is first depressed, as the washer begins to fill, I hear a gurgling sound as if the pump is trying to drain. Then the washer shuts down completely. I tried to see if the tumbler is spinning, but it shutters as if the motor is rapidly forward and reversing. I checked all the wiring connections, belt, and cleaned the drain pump. The door lock switch was replaced about 4 years ago. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Give me a few minutes to pull up the info on this model. thanks , Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if water is actually entering the machine in the beginning of the cycle ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the water enters the machine. As its entering, I hear the pump sound like its a dry pumping or gurgling, but nothing coming out of the drain hose. Then the system shuts down.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. The strange part is the door should lock right away and stay locked so thats an issue, you replaced the door lock 4 years ago did you replace the wax motor also ? can you open the control panel and check the machine control board for two burnt diodes on it. ? graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The complete door lock assembly was replaced by a Maytag technician. I have not checked the current door lock assembly. I will check to see if the diodes are burnt.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay come back and let me know. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the diodes look good. There are no burnt components on the board.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well thats good. if this board is good and its not locking right away at the beginning of the cycle thats why its shutting down. in the beginning of the cycle the door is suppose to lock and it goes into a quick drain then is supposed to start filling again and go through the cycles. if the door isn't locking it will shut down. looks like the door lock assembly has failed again. you say its locks if it gets to a spin but its supposed to lock from the very beginning of the cycle. the wax motor in the door lock is bad or the micro switch isn't sending a signal to the board that the door is locked, either way its a door lock issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I verify continuity or voltage outputs with my voltmeter if it is the door lock assembly?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes actually if you remove the front panel, and then lift the top of the machine. (you need to remove the screws in the dispenser and front holding it down) then you could test for power going the wax motor. when you start the machine. you should get 120 volts to it and it should be moving and locking the door. its very slow though locking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to remove the door to get to the switch or can that stay in tact?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you should be able to get to the switch with the top off and the door still on. when the tops off you can see the switch assembly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Having trouble getting the top off. What's the trick?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well you really just need to lift it so you can get to the switches. there are screws in the dispenser and one on each side # XXXXX on this diagram.holding the top down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Replaced the wax motor - nothing. I noticed that the exit water from the drain pump is just trickeling
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Oh okay. you said you cleaned the drain pump correct ? is the wax motor moving and locking the door. is it getting 120 to it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The motor is getting 120V, door lock works, drain is working. but the drum is jerking and wont' spin or tumble.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats not good. the motor and control has failed, actually they redesigned these because they all fail. have you had this replaced yet ? all of these require replacement. there was actually a recall on these at one point. was yours done under warranty ?

Drive Motor

Item #949491 (OEM Part)

$262.90

Motor and control conversion kit for the Neptune washer. *Please call with model and serial number to verify correct part.

Manufacturer Number 12002039

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the door lock was covered under warranty. That is the only thing that was replaced. The machine is approx 12 years old.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay, I would order and replace the motor assembly. if you order this at the link below theres and unconditional money back guaranty even if you install it and it didn't fix the issue they will let you return it. I'm 90% sure thats your issue though. every one of these needed to be replace because of a mismatch between the motor and control that eventually causes the failure. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

link http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/12002039/949491?modelNumber=MAH4000AWW?RCAID=1000065

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.