Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I own a kenmore 790 gas range. During the cleaning process

Customer Question

I own a kenmore 790 gas range. During the cleaning process the process was interupted when the oven started beeping and someone pushed stop. Now I have F90 in the display window.The oven will not work. This happened when I first got it years ago. I called the 800 no. and someon told me what to do. It was very simple but I don't remember. Please HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is the door locked or unlocked? Is the oven hot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot afford $30 a momth. I can only afford a one time $30. I guess I will have to do without. Thanks anyway. Please delete my credit card info.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You don't need to sign up for the subscription, it is only an offer. You have only initiated a one time $30 fee for help with this range. I can help you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. How do I get past the pick a plan?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Just don't respond to it, you have already gotten through it! Wink So tell me about the current status of the range as far as the door lock and the oven temperature. Is the door locked and is the oven hot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The door is unlocked. The oven will not turn on. The burners work though.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so will the control allow you to start a clean cycle? See what happens, making sure the door is closed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It makes a grinding noise for about 30 seconds. Then it beeps until you push stop. and displays F90 in the window. The door is not locked. I also screwed up with the signing up for a plan ther was a dot in the $40 a mo. plan. I clicked on it thinking that would remove it. Will you please make sure I am NOT enrolled in the plan. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will send a message into them to make sure it does not subscribe you. The grinding sound, is it near the top of the door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is at the top of the door and at the back of the range behind the back burners
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Is the door lock latch bent in the front, near the opening in the door for it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't appear to be.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, it sounds like the lock motor is at fault. If you pull the range out and remove the back cover, you will have access to the motor to inspect it. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is model number 790. I can"t get the back off. My husband unplugged it and plugged it back in hoping it would reset. Pushed bake and the grinding noise has been going for 3 minutes. Does the whole back need to come off or are the top and bottom separat?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
There is a back access panel on it once you pull it out. The motor gearing has been stripped, that is where the grinding is coming from. The complete model number will be on a tag behind the lower drawer, maybe even on the drawer. You are missing 8 numbers after the 790. I can't get you accurate information without the rest of that number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there? ,The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ther was a paper on the back of the stove that had fault codes on it. it said to check the wiring between the EOC and lock motor micro switch. iI don't knowwhere the lock motor micro switch is, Is that something I should try. Still working on getting the back off. , Are you still there? ,The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
, Ther was a paper on the back of the stove that had fault codes on it. it said to check the wiring between the EOC and lock motor micro switch. iI don't knowwhere the lock motor micro switch is, Is that something I should try. Still working on getting the back off. , Are you still there? ,The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
, Ther was a paper on the back of the stove that had fault codes on it. it said to check the wiring between the EOC and lock motor micro switch. iI don't knowwhere the lock motor micro switch is, Is that something I should try. Still working on getting the back off. , Are you still there? ,The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.Do we have to rate you every time we reply? If that's the case- "Helped a little".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
, , Ther was a paper on the back of the stove that had fault codes on it. it said to check the wiring between the EOC and lock motor micro switch. iI don't knowwhere the lock motor micro switch is, Is that something I should try. Still working on getting the back off. , Are you still there? ,The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.Do we have to rate you every time we reply? If that's the case- "Helped a little".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?I can't get the back off.I guess I will have to call a serviceman. Please make sure that I am not charged forty dollars a month. Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you get this and I will gladly rate your service. Thanks so much. , , , Ther was a paper on the back of the stove that had fault codes on it. it said to check the wiring between the EOC and lock motor micro switch. iI don't knowwhere the lock motor micro switch is, Is that something I should try. Still working on getting the back off. , Are you still there? ,The model number is XXXXX I don't know what tool is uswed to remove back.Do we have to rate you every time we reply? If that's the case- "Helped a little".
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I lost my internet for a bit...ugh. Number 89 is the lock motor, located behind the rear access panel, number 33. Are there any 1/4" screws securing the access panel in place?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
My internet is on and off. I am going to opt out do another tech may help you.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We hadn't checked for a reply since so much time had elapsed. Hence this late response. We are still waiting. I assume you have the interchange with Kelly. Summarizing, when we tried to clean the oven on our Kenmore gas range (790-78823407) there was a grinding noise (??oven door 'trying' to lock??). After hitting stop button, we got an error prompt of F90. Investigating papers for the stove, we found that F90 meant "Check wiring between EOC and lock motor mitro switch."

Before this we had unplugged the stove from the wall. Upon plugging it back in, we got the grinding noise which did not go away.

By now we no longwer want to clean the oven. We just want to reset everything so that we can use our stove without the noise.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Our expert from Saturday (Kelly) disappeared. Apparently, he had computer problems. By the time he informed us of this we had turned off our computer. Two days later, we are still trying to get help.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
The reason it's making a grinding noise is because the lock motor is trying to advance, but it's most likely mechanically damaged. With the stove pulled out, you can remove the rear panels with a 1/4" socket or nut driver. As you're FACING the REAR of the appliance, the lock motor and switch assembly is located on the right side. With the panels off, you can try a self clean to see if the motor is making the noise. The motor is a circular piece about 2.5 inches in diameter. Do you have tools to take the rear panel off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a way to reset things without trying to clean the oven?

We have a needle-nosed pliers. The screws(?) are very small.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
The switches on that motor assembly monitor the position of the door lock. If the cam that the motor drives is not correctly on those switches, it WILL NOT operate. You'll need to get a 1/4" drive socket or nut driver to remove the panel, then you'll need to replace the lock motor assembly. Needle nose pliers probably won't cut it for you. Ask a neighbor to borrow a socket set. I'm sure they'd be happy to help. To answer your question though, with an F90 code, NO, you cannot do a simple reset. The control board is programmed to monitor that circuit.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What we found was square, not circular. Not sure how to "replace the lock motor assembly".
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
There is usually two screws holding it on, the lock motor will be circular, there will be two microswitches on the assembly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are three panels on the rear. I took off the top one. By their diagram there is the Electronic Oven Control with ten wires to it. Their diagram seems to indicate a round lock motor, but at that spot is a square piece with five wires to it and two leaving it.

I will take off the next panel next. It will take a while.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it's the second panel down usually. That's the part you need. Would you like the part number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We found it and took it off (three screws, not two).

I would like the part number.

After we took the lock motor off we noted that the "door locked" light was still flashing. Also the "bake" button wouldn't work (Understandably, but we were hoping).

We are concerned that replacing the lock motor may not stop the flashing "door locked" problem. We would be happy to forget oven-cleaning if we could bake. Will we be able to bake after the lock motor is replaced?

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Did you see the cam the motor drives? That is out of position and not depressing the micro switches in the correct order. I'm currently away from my desk and am answering this on my mobile phone. I'll get you the assembly part number as soon as I'm back. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I see what seems to be a cam and two switches in plastic with words "DECO", "Korea", "com". The plastic pieces are rectangular shaped. The cam won't move, maybe because the motor below is holding it.

I think I've found it at www.appliancepros.com.

The Manufacturer's number is XXXXX with Item number AP395464301.

I don't know why the Manu number was Xed out.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
316464301 is the OEM part number for the part you are seeking, the latch motor assembly. I clicked on the link you provided, it took me to a vacuum cleaner site. If you find an item number somewhere else like repair clinic, they change the factory OEM number to their own inventory number. The part should still be the same. There are literally hundreds of appliance parts vendors across the country. Look for the one that will save you the most money. Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My bad. The link was supposed to be www.AppliancePartsPros.com. We ordered thru them 50.74 plus S&H12.95 (for two-day service).
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Good, that sounds like a deal. Good luck to you.